The Communications Specialist will be responsible for the creation and coordination of communications that keep graduate students, prospective graduate students, and university constituents informed of all aspects of the graduate admissions process. This staff member is responsible for developing and maintaining effective communication strategies for diverse audiences, including all applicants to Duke Graduate School and Duke Kunshan University. The Communications Specialist will serve in a leadership role to facilitate optimal responsiveness to applicants’ online support needs. This staff member will cultivate, maintain, and monitor the Admissions Office’s online presence. The Communications Specialist will serve asa liaison between the Admissions Office and other institutional entities that support the needs of incoming graduate students.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED:
The Communications Specialist is one of five regular staff members who report to the Associate Dean for Admissions.
- Design, maintain, and implement a communications plan in response to 80+ graduate program staff’s information needs; this involves identification of how to communicate requirements between Admissions and the graduate programs and putting into place necessary changes to facilitate the plan.
- Serve as a resource to graduate program staff in the development of e-mail campaigns targeting prospective students through the Slate CRM system.
- Communicate admission decisions to 13,000+ international & U.S. applicants to over 80 graduate programs.
- Responsible for the decision release process.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for Duke Kunshan University applicants (from applicant to matriculated student).
- Research best practices and recommend the methodology for online sessions (webinars, chat sessions, etc.) to address prospective students’ information needs and improve efficiency. Utilize the functionality in Slate to track event attendance.
- Responsible for coordinating the implementation of and hosting the scheduled sessions.
- Research, develop, implement and maintain Admissions website resources, the Applicant Self- Service system, and the Graduate School’s online application and instructions that inform and benefit applicants, admitted students, and staff and faculty.
- Based on awareness of new or updated university directives, take initiative for adding appropriate information to the Admissions website; also solicit information from outside of The Graduate School to obtain updates.
- Autonomously research social media technologies (Facebook, Linked In, etc.), determine social media messaging needs, make recommendations and establish an Admissions social media presence.
- Serve as the Admissions focal point for determining communications needs of applicants and newly admitted students.
- Respond to prospective applicants’ questions about Durham and Duke.
- Serve as communications liaison between Graduate Admissions and other campus offices, including International House, Student Information Services and Systems, and Student Health.
- Write and edit admissions interdepartmental correspondence, including the Admissions sections of the Director of Graduate Studies’ manual and the Graduate School Bulletin.
- Write, edit, and distribute applicant correspondence, including application instructions, decision letters, enrollment reminder messages, welcome letters, and requests for missing application documents and/or official transcripts.
- Jointly with the Data Manager ascertain admissions data needs, and create and distribute surveys for the Admissions website.
- Analyze website survey feedback to determine ways to improve website effectiveness and user friendliness.
- Provide backup data management assistance during busy periods (work with submitted applications, resolving duplicate record errors, and updating applicant files).
- Load enrollment data to the admissions database and matriculate new students.
- Responsible for the testing of the communication components of admissions and student services software; coordinate the compilation and sending of test feedback to application vendors; conduct retests.
Administration and Support
- Respond to inquiries from those visiting, emailing, or calling the Graduate School.
- Formulate and deliver presentations on admissions communications and processes to graduate program administrative staff.
Experience and Skills
- Hands on experience with Technolutions
- Slate strongly preferred, knowledge of People Soft Campus Solutions desired.
- Experience with social media platforms a plus.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills in conjunction with strong networking, collaboration and team building skills is essential
- Experience working with diverse groups including faculty, administrative staff, and campus technical support professionals
Requisition Number 401510235
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 1290 COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communication and marketing skills normally acquired through a bachelor's degree in a related field.
Work generally requires one year related experience in advertising,marketing, media, promotions or public relations.OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OREXPERIENCE
Auto req ID