Food Service Worker
About Residential & Dining Enterprises:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $206 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technology.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
About Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries:
Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry’s most prestigious and coveted awards, given to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE’s vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives.
Job Summary and Mission:
This position contributes to Med Café’s success by providing legendary customer service to all customers. This job creates an exceptional experience for our customers by providing customers with prompt service, quality beverages and products, and maintaining a clean and comfortable store environment. Models and acts in accordance with Stanford University R&DE’s Core Values.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Operates cash register and POS systems with proficiency and accuracy
- Follows department’s cash handling policy
- Follows R&DE customer service relations standards
- Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promote the culture, values and mission of Stanford University.
- Maintains a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events to keep store operating to standard and to set a positive example for the shift team.
- Anticipates customer and store needs by constantly evaluating environment and customers for cues.
- Communicates information to manager so that the team can respond as necessary to create a welcoming environment during each shift.
- Assists with new partner training by positively reinforcing successful performance and giving respectful and encouraging coaching as needed.
- Contributes to positive team environment by recognizing alarms or changes in partner morale and performance and communicating them to the store manager.
- Delivers legendary customer service to all customers by acting with a customer comes first attitude and connecting with the customer. Discovers and responds to customer needs.
- Follows R&DE’s operational policies and procedures, including those for cash handling and safety and security, to ensure the safety of all employees during each shift.
- Maintains a clean and organized workspace so that employees can locate resources and product as needed.
- Provides quality beverages and food products consistently for all customers by adhering to all recipe and presentation standards. Follows health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products.
- Recognizes and reinforces individual and team accomplishments by using existing organizational methods.
Maintains regular and punctual attendance
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Available to work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays
- Meet store operating policies and standards, including providing quality beverages and food products, cash handling and store safety and security, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Engage with and understand our customers, including discovering and responding to customer needs through clear and pleasant communication
- Prepare food and beverages to standard recipes or customized for customers, including recipe changes such as temperature, quantity of ingredients or substituted ingredients
- Available to perform many different tasks within the store during each shift
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to build relationships
GENERAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Light to medium work. Exerting up to 25-50 pounds of lifting force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise. Position frequently involves long hours and widely diverse duties. Must be able to bend, stoop and perform extensive walking. Must be able to exert well paced mobility to move quickly to the different areas of the facility as service and production demands require.
Working Conditions and Frequency of Occurrence
Extreme Temperature Changes 10-30%
Hand and Finger Dexterity 10-40%
Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling
Up to 10 lbs. 30-60%
Up to 25 lbs. 20-50%
Up to 50 lbs. 10-20%
Over 50 lbs. 5-10%
English Proficiency Requirements:
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."