Associate Director, PhD Program
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
Stanford GSB has an outstanding Ph.D. program with over 120 doctoral students registered in seven academic fields of study (Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Organizational Behavior, Operations and Information Technology, and Political Economy). The program is designed to develop students to become leading scholars and researchers in their respective fields.
Reporting to the Executive Director, PhD Program Administration, the Associate Director, PhD Program plays a key role in the success of the PhD Program. Primary responsibilities will include directing admissions, recruiting and outreach, maintaining external website and program intranet, overseeing program wide events such as Admit Day. Responsible for overall marketing and recruiting strategy and implementation. The Associate Director is also responsible for developing and executing professional development opportunities for the PhD student community. Other duties - including supporting other program functions - as required. Travel as required.
Administer, implement, and interpret university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding admission, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using expert technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Manage an area or program in student services, analyze effectiveness, and make final decisions on program eligibility.
- Engage in critical analysis of student and program concerns to resolve issues which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge.
- Develop and implement programming, make strategic recommendations for future programs.
- Evaluate and determine recommendations on technology resources, negotiate with resources options and vendors.
- Analyze and develop report requirements, portals, and student facing communications.
- Manage outreach programs, relationships with external community and university liaisons.
- Engage in critical analysis of student and program concerns to resolve substantial issues which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge.
- Provide direct advice to students on a range of issues including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Interpret and implement university policy related to academic policies; oversee the implementation of policies and practices for a student population or school.
- Oversee key processes, including contribution and direction on policy and program content.
- Provide consulting advice to internal and external organizations; act as subject matter expert in a specialized field.
- Lead university wide teams and projects.
- Direct the work of other staff; contribute to development of staff training programs.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to review and analyze complex information.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
MA/MS degree; 7+ years of related higher education experience (or combination of education and relevant experience), with specific experience in graduate admissions, marketing, and/or top level direct student services is highly desirable. Experience at Stanford University.
Excellent customer service, attention to detail, project management and organizational skills required. Must possess initiative, assess and solve problems. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, work independently, and work in a small-team. Ability to handle confidential material with tact and discretion is essential; communicate effectively and professionally; good judgment and flexibility. Work effectively with faculty and deans, students and prospective students.
Excellent presentation skills. Strong interest in marketing and recruiting. Experience with application systems a plus.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.