SSW Special Events Assistant
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Candidates should submit the following as one document:
The Meetings and Special Events Assistant at the School of Social Work works collaboratively with the Administrative Services team and reports to the Faculty and Administrative Support Team (FAST) coordinator. This position supports the Dean and Associate Dean's offices as well as the Development Office and SSW faculty.
This position is a 25 hour/week part-time position with a work schedule of Monday through Friday from 9am to 2:30pm and may require occasional evening and/or weekend work. The responsibilities include:
- Assist with the planning and coordination of meetings, events, and exhibits
- Coordinate travel and accommodations for all visitors
- Create and track guest itineraries
- Collect and track guest speaker financial paperwork
- Order catering for meetings and events
- Gather quotes from vendors as needed, (caterers, florists, photographers, etc.)
- Create and gather event materials (welcome packets, name tags, order posters)
- Assist with preparation of correspondence for events including: invitations, memos, etc.
- Provide staff support at events and meetings (set-up and cleanup, A/V support, arranging photography/videography, as needed)
- Assist with expense reports for events
Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively and professionally with the large and diverse University community as well as external constituents. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated organizational skills to follow-through, plan, and organize and manage a large and diverse workload with excellent attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines in a timely manner. Ability to work, problem solve and make decisions with limited supervision. Some experience in general office work. Ability to establish and maintain positive and cooperative relationships with students, staff, faculty and colleagues at the School of Social Work and at partner institutions. Ability to ascend and descend stairs; must be able to frequently move and/or position objects weighing up to 40 lbs when setting up equipment.
Application Deadline - In order to receive full consideration for your application, please submit your bid within the first seven calendar days of this posting. UM job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days and the SSW may start the review/selection process as early as the eighth day after posting. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.