Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The successful candidate will participate in all aspects of nuclear physics research, including design, assembly and operation of apparatus as well as collaborating on experiments at external laboratories such as Los Alamos National Laboratory and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. This research is focused on precision measurements of basic particle properties such as neutron decay and the neutron electric dipole moment.
- Assist with a large experimental physics lab, including participation in design plans and/or necessary modifications of current and future research instruments, apparatus and equipment
- Procure necessary supplies, parts, equipment and materials required for the operation and maintenance of the lab. Identify and utilize on-campus and off-campus resources, shops and vendors
- Educate and advise new graduate and undergraduate students on experimental techniques, such as vacuum technology, gas and liquid handling, and cryogenics, as well as safe practices within an experimental research lab
- Coordinate fabrication and construction work with outside vendors including identifying appropriate vendors as well as drop-off and pick-up of experiment hardware at vendor’s location
- Anticipate and/or plan for material needs and keep necessary supplies available
- Must lift lab equipment and apparatus weighing more than 20 lbs.
- Must travel to other experimental sites
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree
- 6 or more years of relevant research experience
- Must be familiar with AutoCad, Solidworks and other software
- Significant experience with high vacuum, cryogenic and gas handling techniques
- Cryogenic experience down to 4K
- Experience with light machining in machine shop
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license throughout employment
- 8 or more years of relevant research experience
- Cryogenic experience below 1K including operation of a dilution refrigerator
- Experience with COMSOL simulation software