Dining Room Services Assistant
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Responsible for the dining room service area, including, but not limited to preparing the dining room for receiving customers, operating the POS Terminal, maintaining cleanliness and stock levels in serving stations, greeting and providing service to customers, and performing basic food and beverage preparation. Ensures the smooth operation of the dining room area during meal periods and special functions, including set-up, customer service, and closing. Performs work in accordance with Institute and regulatory agencies (e.g. ServSafe) safety standards, practices, and protocols.
- Under supervision, works from established procedures, verbal and/or written instructions to accomplish assignments, which are routine in nature and where some degree of judgment is required
- Maintains dining room area, including stocking and set-up according to protocols
- Maintains overall cleanliness and presentation of dining room area (i.e. vacuuming, watering plants, cleaning tables, etc.)
- Cleans tables and ensures readiness for the next customer
- Prepares food bars and/or buffet areas with appropriate food items and supplies as directed. Ensures all drink equipment is clean and working properly
- Conducts inventory of items used and provides order list (i.e. supply needs) according to protocol
- Provides customer service in ensuring all client needs are met
- May serve as a cashier in the dining room area (i.e. totaling customer purchases, reconcile POS system and tickets generated, etc.)
- May process and post order tickets according to protocol
- May have dining room closing responsibilities (i.e. lock-up)
- At least 6 months food service experience in restaurants, clubs or hotels
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be able to obtain a California Food Handler card within 30 days of hire
- Must have the ability to carry a minimum of 50 pounds (trays, chairs, tables and furniture) repetitively throughout the day and a maximum of 75 pounds occasionally and the ability to move, set-up and clear tables and chairs
- Effective communication skills required
- Must be able to communicate in English while performing assigned duties
- Must be able to take food orders and serve food orders as needed on a daily basis
- General food knowledge pertaining to sauces, cuts of meat, fish, methods of cooking, etc. including commonly served fish, most popular spices and herbs, different styles of cuisine (Cajun, Provencal, Northern/Southern Italian, etc.) and general knowledge of wine types such as red, white, sparkling, dessert and American service (plated) in banquets
- TIPS and ServSafe certificate preferred.