Nurse Midwife, Certified
Duke Women’s Health is seeking full-time experienced Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) for our low-risk generalist OB/GYN practices in north Durham. The CNMs will work to supervise Duke resident physicians and medical students on Labor and Delivery at Duke Regional Hospital and work collaboratively with attending Duke physicians for inpatient Ob/Gyn services. The position will also include outpatient Ob/Gyn services, such as obstetrical care, low-risk well woman exams, contraception care, and other Ob/Gyn services. The position will heavily focus on medical education and supervision of learners.
Duke Job Description:
Provide direct clinical services and management of mothers and babies as defined in the standing orders, policies, procedures and protocols for the certified nurse midwife.
- Provide direct clinical services and management of mothers and babies as defined in the standing orders, policies, procedures and protocols for the certified nurse midwife.
- Obtain patient health histories and complete physical examinations. Document findings noting pertinent normal and abnormal findings. Order and interpret appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests.
- Explain the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patient, family, staff, and healthcare learners.
- Perform approved therapeutic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status. Document patient preparation and response to procedure(s).
- Formulate and implement prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum, newborn and interconceptional care as defined by the nurse midwifery service.
- Collaborate with physician and nursing colleagues and document in medical records and appropriate narrative summaries.
- Initiate necessary emergency interventions to stabilize patient.
- Educator Assess educational needs, plan, provide, and evaluate educational programs for nursing staff, interdisciplinary healthcare team, and community.
- Precept nurse midwifery students and other healthcare learners. Provide patient and family education related to prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum, newborn and interconceptional care.
- Incorporate clinical research findings in the development and implementation of standards of care. Support IRB approved clinical research/trials though a variety of activities including but not limited to: obtaining consent; ordering diagnostic tests; recording laboratory & diagnostic results; administering therapeutic interventions; and documenting and reporting patient outcomes including toxicities or adverse events.
- Perform and participate in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research. Consultant Serve as an expert consultant to nursing, members of the healthcare team and to the larger community. Participate in and support accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization.
Requisition Number 40144689
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 1143 NURSE MIDWIFE, CERTIFIED
Job Family Level 78
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a Master’s Degree in Nursing and current RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. Must also possess North Carolina Certified Nurse Midwife License.
Minimum one year experience as a certified nurse midwife.
Knowledge of professional nursing theory, clinical practice standards, normal maternal / fetal growth and development, and requirements of nurse midwifery practice. Able to independently seek out resources and solve complex problems.
Auto req ID