Technology Ventures Contract Associate
Classified Title: Technolovy Ventures Contracts Associate
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 60006028-Finance and Administration
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
This position reports to the Director, Contracts. Duties include the drafting, review, negotiation, analysis and maintenance of legally binding transactional agreements within Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures (JHTV), including agreements for collaborative research, technology licensing, material transfer, and confidential non-disclosure agreements.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- With oversight from the Director, Contracts, prepares, reviews, and negotiates contracts including but not limited to, incoming and outgoing material transfer agreements, non-disclosure agreements, inter-institutional agreements, collaborative research agreements, intellectual property licenses, repository agreements, and various other contractual documents, ensuring consistency with JHTV’s goals as well as JHU policies and legal obligations.
- Provides contract review and drafting support to JHTV licensing professionals as requested.
- Assists in the design and implementation of policies and procedures to support review, negotiation, drafting, quality control and compliance for JHTV agreements to ensure compliance with university policies and federal regulations.
- Assists in the development of functional requirement, identification and implementation of systems, processes, tool and metrics to analyze and predict contracting cost, agreement complexity, risk, and value along with contract lifecycle management system.
- Works with support staff and computer systems to ensure proper docketing, accurate data collection and management of compliance activities.
- Manages and maintains agreement and negotiation records in the JHTV Agreements database.
- Uses Microsoft Office software to assemble, manipulate and format agreement documents and reports.
- Participates in development and delivery of faculty education and outreach programs.
- Collaborates and communicates with faculty, other JHU staff members, other JHTV staff members, JHU legal counsel and third party representatives by email, telephone, and in person.
- Performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree required (science or engineering field preferred). JD required.
- At least one years’ experience with contract review, drafting and negotiation.
- At least one years’ experience in technology transfer/management, licensing, marketing or business development.
- Experience using contract lifecycle management systems and databases.
- At least one year project management experience.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to understand, review, draft and negotiate technology transfer agreements with substantial intellectual property terms incorporating complex technology and business concepts, and must ensure compliance with JHTV’s goals and JHU’s policies.
- The position requires exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Excellence in organization and workload management, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects with limited oversight.
- Must have ability to multi-task under deadline pressure and be able to reprioritize accordingly.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and strong customer service orientation, with a proven ability to deal professionally, tactfully and effectively with all types of customers, including faculty, university staff members, and legal and business contacts at external entities.
- Must work as a team player and collaborate well with numerous stakeholder groups.
- Must be customer service centric with focus on faculty interactions and communication.
- Competence in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.).
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office atj email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.