IT Analyst, Sr BI Developer
The IT Analyst, Sr-BI Developer (BID) is integral to the success of Duke University Health System’s Population Health Management Office (PHMO) initiatives. As the expert on reporting and analytics, the incumbent will serve as the point of contact for clinical and non-clinical leadership and staff within the PHMO to address operational, clinical, and financial reporting needs. The BID is responsible not only for working with the customer to elicit the needs of the business but also translating clinical and claims data into insights around quality, cost, and utilization optimization opportunities.
This position requires an analyst intrigued and driven by the challenge of creating information from data; skilled at organizing the presentation of quantitative information to facilitate understanding and illuminate decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Work collaboratively with business unit and other IT team members to elicit detailed business requirements; create technical documentation, and translate specifications as required in order to develop an appropriate data information solution.
- Lead analyses from claims and clinical data looking to derive insights into cost and utilization reduction opportunities and/or quality improvement.
- Develop design documents for data mapping and data transformation processes.
- Perform gap assessment to identify gaps between business requirements and data availability.
- Develop and implement an appropriate quality acceptance testing and validation strategy to ensure completeness and accuracy of data prior to user acceptance testing and migration of solution into the production environment.
- Use all tools as relevant to develop the right solution to meet customer data needs. Available tools include but are not limited to: SQL, Business Objects Crystal, WEBi, Tableau, and MS SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Monitor the performance of business unit specific reporting solutions and take corrective action as necessary to optimize performance and mitigate negative consequences for customers and production servers.
- Understand and follow all established guidelines with respect to report development, migration of reports through environments to Production, and report maintenance. Ensure that all data deliverables conform to established departmental standards; specifically change management processes, reporting naming conventions, and maintenance of enterprise reporting library.
- Maintain impeccable communication with internal and external stakeholders regarding the development status of work requests. Requires the timely and astute evaluation and anticipation of risks to fulfillment of requests.
- Maintain knowledge of industry standards for metrics and analyses in a value based payment healthcare environment.
- Demonstrates a proven ability to accurately and independently apply knowledge in the design and build of reporting, information, and analytic solutions.
- High intermediate to advanced/expert level user of requisite technical tools for the role.
- Proven SQL coding experience at an advanced coder level.
- Mentors less senior BID irrespective of supervisory relationship to them.
- Performs and coordinates simple to complex projects with minimal direction.
- Optimizes internal resources to maximize team capabilities.
- Leads peers to resolve complex issues consistent with divisional/organizational goals.
- Engaged team player with fully aligned attitudes and behaviors and committed to achieving our enterprise mission
Required Qualifications at this Level
Bachelor's degree in a related field, or four years of equivalent technical experience required if no degree.
Degree in Information Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, or Engineering (Health Information Management) preferred.
If not achieved prior to employment, certification in indicated Epic data model(s) and module(s) is required within 6 months of employment except where otherwise negotiated; certification in an indicated Epic model is a condition of employment. Relevant data model and modules will be communicated at time of employment. Certification is required on the Epic version current at DUHS.
3+ years for the Sr. BID role. Recent and prior healthcare experience, with payer claims data and/or Accountable Care Organization utilization and quality metric work strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid experience and knowledge developing complex SQL scripts.
- Strong hands-on working knowledge of statistical and business analysis software (e.g. MS SQL Server/Oracle, SAS, R, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Tableau, Business Objects, Clarity) for processing, analyzing, and presenting data.
- Foundational understanding of relational and dimensional data models.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving ability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in a technical or healthcare environment, with proven ability to describe technical solutions to non-technical audiences.
- Skilled in requirements gathering, gap analysis, data analysis, and generating technical specifications.
- Data sourcing, data mapping and managing metadata strongly preferred.
- Ability to handle a variety of projects and tasks simultaneously and prioritize competing deadlines
- Proven ability to translate business questions and requirements into data and information deliverables using relevant business intelligence tools.
- Prior experience with clinical, EHR, and healthcare claims data preferred.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Requisition Number 401506582
Duke Entity DIN/Connected Care
Job Code 2426 ANALYST,IT, SR
Job Family Level D
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / TemporaryRegular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID