Research Assistant in Molecular Biology
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Ramaciotti Centre for Genomics is the largest genomics facility at any Australian University. It is also the most comprehensively equipped genomics facility in the nation, serving a user base of over 1,000 researchers both nationally and internationally. The Centre’s purpose is to deliver high quality genomic data to its clients and position UNSW as a leader in the field of genomics
About the role
- 72K - $82K plus 9.5% Superannuation
- Fixed Term parental leave vacancy – 12 months
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
This Research Assistant is responsible for preparing client’s samples for Illumina sequencing using a variety of complex methods. It requires a high degree of technical skill as sample preparation involves handling large numbers of high value samples in a time sensitive environment.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Degree in molecular biology, genetics or a related discipline, an Honours degree is preferable. This position requires a good understanding of the principles of molecular biology.
- At least 2 years laboratory-based work experience using high-throughput molecular biology techniques is essential.
- The ability to manage time effectively to deliver results for concurrent workflows.
- Ability to use initiative and work both independently, as well as part of a team to deliver project outcomes.
- Work experience in an accredited or regulated laboratory is desirable.
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Contact: Helen Speirs
Applications close: November 15th, 2018
Find out more about working at UNSW at your Faculty/Division web address
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).