Classified Title: Research Assistant
Working Title: Research Assistant
Starting Salary Range: $16.10-$22.12
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Mon-Fri up to 40 hours
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 5200 Eastern Ave, Suite 4200
Department name: 10003079-SOM Ped Gen Pediatrics Adoles Medicine
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The Research Assistant will work as part of our productive, collaborative research team at the Center for Child and Community Health Research. Primary responsibilities will include conducting qualitative in-depth interviews, leading qualitative data analysis, conducting statistical analyses, and assisting in the development of scholarly products. The ideal candidate has high level of responsibility and independence, experience in qualitative data collection and analysis, and is able to interact daily with medical professionals and caretakers in highly professional, confident, and knowledgeable manner.
- Perform study recruitment in person and by phone
- Ensure that proper informed consent is obtained prior to entering study
- Conduct in-depth, semi-structured interviews in person and on the phone
- Maintain record keeping and filing system for electronic and paper-based research records
- Lead qualitative data analysis of interview transcripts (including reading the transcripts, memoing, developing a codebook, and coding)
- Conduct statistical analyses
- Perform other study-related duties as assigned
- Perform literature review and assist in drafting manuscripts
- Maintain compliance with HIPAA and IRB regulations and guidelines
- Actively communicate and update supervising study coordinators on data collection and data analysis status via verbal and written communication
Bachelor's degree in related discipline. Some related experience. Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Experience in qualitative research. Some graduate level courses in qualitative research preferred.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively in many mediums: by email, verbally, on the phone, and with body language. Communication also includes listening skills and the ability to follow directions and provide feedback.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
Experience with qualitative data analysis software (e.g., Atlas.ti, NVivo)
All IRB-required courses must be completed and appropriate exams passed with necessary certification within 2 weeks of start date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.