Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Student-Faculty Programs Office manages several undergraduate research programs for Caltech and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). Under general supervision from the Director, this position provides administrative support to the office.
This position requires an ability to multitask in a high volume office, display initiative, and work independently while providing outstanding customer service to the students, faculty, alumni, donors, and staff with whom we work.
- Administer the day-to-day activities of the office in a highly collaborative and supportive manner, including developing correspondence, copying, answering phones, management of mail, etc.
- Provide responsive, informative, and polite assistance to prospective and current SFP students, faculty, alumni, donors, and other campus staff. Demonstrate excellent judgment and interpersonal skills in interacting with a diverse clientele.
- Provide general support for department staff, including calendaring, preparing programmatic materials, and assisting with the coordination and implementation of programs, services, and events.
- Assist with application, hiring, and payroll processes for over 900 summer students.
- Maintain several office websites and oversee SFP presence on social media sites.
- Design and distribute newsletters, fliers, invitations, and other office materials.
- Manage record retention and disposition for the office.
- Provide administrative support for SURF Board and SURF AdComm, including meeting set-up, recording of minutes, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position primarily interfaces with the SFP Director, Associate Director, and Assistant Director; and the students, faculty, alumni, and donors involved in SFP activities.
- This position may provide administrative support for budgetary and financial matters and tracking of donor gifts.
- This position will not make budgetary decisions.
- General office environment.
- The SFP office is a small, but mighty group! This position is vital in the overall success of the office. This position must be able to interact well with the team, produce high-quality work, and add to a pleasant working atmosphere.
- 3 or more years of responsible administrative experience.
- Ability to apply advanced knowledge of policies and practices to assignments.
- Capable of solving both routine and semi-routine problems.
- Knowledge and experience with various social media platforms.
- Effective customer service skills coupled with strong oral and written communication.
- Proven ability to interact with various levels of faculty, students, and staff.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to handle change.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience working at Caltech.
- Experience with Filemaker Pro, Card Quest, Techmart, and Oracle.
- Cover letter