Records and Enrollment Lead
This position serves as School Certifying Official (SCO) for the University of Michigan, which involves applying a myriad of complex rules and regulations governing the certification of enrollment for receipt of Veteran Administration (VA) benefits. This includes close monitoring of student enrollment, grading, degree requirements and timely reporting to the VA, as well as providing extensive customer service and information sharing with students seeking to receive their VA education benefits. This position requires a close working relationship with other University offices in order to meet the specific needs of veterans and military-connected students.
- Assist veterans and military-connected students with the application process for receipt of VA education benefits. Help students resolve problems, issues or concerns regarding VA education benefits and payment issues.
- Report enrollment, tuition and mandatory fees using the Department of Veteran Affairs’ internet-based application.
- Review degree plans to ensure course applicability.
- Participate in audits conducted by the Department of Veteran Affairs. Work with U-M Student Financial Services on the reconciliation of tuition payments made by the Department of Veteran Affairs on behalf of VA benefit recipients.
- Perform monthly and end of term audits to identify changes in enrollment. Report appropriate changes and adjustments to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in a timely manner.
- Notify U-M Student Financial Services of specific monetary amounts that need to be credited to veteran and military-connected student accounts.
- Interpret policies established by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and maintain internal procedures in order to remain in compliance with all federal regulations.
- Provide support for the distribution of diplomas.
- Assist with the checking and updating of enrollment reports sent to the National Student Clearinghouse. Research and resolve error reports.
- Assist with training of staff members, the updating of policies and procedures and act as a resource person.
- Participate in projects and/or process improvements.
- Assist in other areas of the Registrar’s Office as need arises.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of administrative support experience. Reasonable knowledge and understanding of the policies and procedures of a higher education institution, academic units, and/or the Office of the Registrar.
- Ability to learn and follow complex procedures and detailed policies.
- Ability to plan, forecast, and prioritize as needed to meet the job duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail and reasonable knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office software.
- Demonstrated ability to deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information. The ability to research problems thoroughly and to make responsible decisions without supervision when appropriate.
- A minimum of one year of experience as a School Certifying Official for a secondary education institution.
- Prior experience using VA resources and tools to support military benefit programs.
- Experience and/or familiarity with M-Pathways Student Administration system.
- Knowledge of FERPA and other federal/state laws and regulations related to higher education.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.