University Engagement Manager
- Full Time
University Engagement Manager
The Office of Research Excellence (ORE) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) focuses on strategic engagement with global leaders in research and education.
ORNL has set a priority to focus, both individually and collectively as an institution, on aspiring to be the best in the world. This requires identifying and hiring the best and most diverse research staff to develop the next generation of science leaders. The Office of Research Excellence (ORE) supports this priority through oversight and coordination of high-quality talent acquisition and development, educational, and outreach programs. ORE is also responsible for strategic engagement with global leading institutions in the research and education community.
A primary purpose of this position is to support the ORE director in building relationships with top universities to develop a talent pipeline which insures the growth of the highest quality and most diverse research staff.
- In partnership with HR and R&D divisions, facilitate the implementation of ORNL’s PhD recruitment strategy.
- In support of the ORE director, effectively engage with university faculty and ORNL staff to create opportunities for strategic research collaborations.
- Serves as a point of contact for external university collaborators interested in initiating collaborative research activities with ORNL research groups.
- Analyzes program functions and processes, utilizing qualitative and quantitative techniques to recommend new solutions to collaborative relationship problems and issues that have impact on the effectiveness of ORNL.
- Analyzes and evaluates data on programs and prepares and presents data to management.
- Master’s Degree in technical (or equivalent) field with at least 5 years of relevant experience as a researcher or administrator in a scientific research/university environment.
- Proven ability to build relationships/collaborations.
- Management of scientific research projects and/or administrative programs that support scientific research.
- Experience interacting with research and development professionals.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, including developing and using macros.
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices.
- Ability to lead, mentor and empower teams.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently using own initiative, and to deliver high-quality work against deadlines.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- An interest in process management and improvement.
- Familiarity with university-based scientific and engineering research and graduate education, both mission and operations.
- Ability to work collaboratively and foster a cooperative work environment with research faculty, university research administration, graduate students, colleagues and others at all levels who are engaged in world-class research.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.