Associate Dean, Education
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work. We aspire to be Australia’s global university, improving and transforming lives through excellence in research, outstanding education and a commitment to advancing a just society.
The Faculty of Medicine has embarked on the most substantial investment in its history. One of the core principals of our vision is to educate the next generation of researchers, clinicians & educators within medicine. We have consistently embraced technological advancements to educate our students to provided them with the best learning experience. We invest significant funds every year to provide the best facilities and the significant expansion of the Randwick Medical precinct, this is an exciting time to be part of UNSW.
The Associate Dean (Education) is an academic leadership role with overall strategic and operational responsibilities of the Faculty’s education activities. You will be responsible for the provision of creative leadership in the development and implementation of innovative teaching and learning policies and strategies. Furthermore, you will be accountable for the effective strategic management of teaching and learning, and quality assurance in the Faculty’s Education portfolio. You will collaborate with other senior members of the Faculty, for ensuring excellence in the Faculty’s undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
This position provides leadership in innovative education strategies, including liaison with senior leaders within Local Health Districts. This is to ensure the integration of infrastructure for undergraduate medical education in the redevelopment of the Prince of Wales Hospital and Liverpool Hospital campuses. To achieve this you will be responsible for the rationalisation of existing Programs, introduction of new teaching Programs and courses that meet the future and current learning needs of students and industry.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the development and adoption of innovative practice in education, with a focus on blended learning and the integration of technology in learning, teaching and assessment.
- Work with the Senior Vice Dean Education to develop the Faculty's education strategy and guidelines; support the Associate Dean Postgraduate Coursework, program authorities and Heads of School/Centres in implementing University and Faculty policies and procedures.
- Advise and assist the Faculty Executive and Heads of Schools/Centres in the development of the Faculty strategic plans and performance goals for Education.
- Assist with the manage the governance of the Faculty’s education activities including approval of programs/courses.
- Assist to align the Faculty’s education strategy with its thematic approach and development of strength around special population groups including Indigenous Health, women and children and the ageing
- Lead, mentor and encourage the pursuit of excellence in education.
- Enhance the quality of education through effective professional development programs, mentoring and recognition of teaching excellence, including recruitment of, and support for, education-focussed academic staff.
- Promote education research within the Faculty, including recruitment and supervision of higher degree students.
About the Successful Applicant
You must have an innate passion for medical education and to enhance the learning experience of both student and teaching professionals. You will understand how changing technologies will impact future education techniques and be able to provide recommendations on the direction the Faculty should pursue.
You must have a PhD or equivalent level of qualification, together with an excellent track record of innovation in Education and a proven capacity for Education leadership. You will have an outstanding record in leadership, both in terms of inspiring a team and tactical management. You must have strong mentoring and team building capabilities within a higher education environment. You will be an excellent relationship builder with the ability to represent the Faculty in liaising with external stakeholders, including Local Health Districts.
You will have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to drive discussions and actions to successful outcomes within a complex environment. You must have the demonstrated ability to lead developments and successfully implement education innovation strategies.
To Apply: Visit www.jobs.unsw.edu.au and enter reference #495136. Your application should include a CV, cover letter and responses to the selection criteria listed in the Position Description. Please note all documentation must be in pdf format.
Please view the position description for further information.
Talent Acquisition Team Lead – UNSW Medicine
t: 02 9385 3260
m: 0404 809 939
Applications close: 11:55 pm on the 18th November 2018.
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.