University Director, Student Accounts
Classified Title: Director Student Accounts
Working Title: University Director of Student Accounts
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F; 8:30-5:00
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001449-Homewood Student Accounts
Personnel area: Homewood Student Affairs
Responsible for providing the overall vision and direction for the Homewood Student Accounts Office as well as a Shared Services Center responsible for third party billing/payment application functions supporting all nine JHU schools. Provide leadership in the overall management, planning, supervision, and organization of the Homewood Student Accounts Office and Shared Services Center. Recommend, design, champion and implement enhancements to continually improve the student experience and provide excellent customer service. Deliver strategic support, thought leadership, and functional expertise in the design and evolution of university-wide student billing functions through participation in the Student Services Excellence Initiative “SSEI”. (SSEI is a university-wide, multi-year initiative focused on improving the student experience through process, system, and strategic enhancements in key student service areas, including Student Accounts.) Partner with the inaugural University Registrar, the Assistant Vice Provost for Financial Aid, the Sr. Executive Director Student Affairs Finance and Administration, and the SSEI Billing Working Group, on improvements and enhancements to process and technology that span the registration, financial aid, and billing functions.
This position will lead the Homewood Student Accounts Office. The managers of the student accounts offices of the non-Homewood schools will have a dotted reporting relationship into this position.
Homewood Student Accounts maintains financial records on approximately 14,000 students each semester for the divisions of Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Advanced Academic Programs, and Engineering for Professionals -- this includes Undergraduate, Graduate, and Part-Time Programs. Establish, implement and monitor policies and procedures to manage the functions of billing and collection of university fees, disbursement of aid, refunding, reporting, payment plans, and other related functions.
This position will report to the Sr. Executive Director Student Affairs Finance and Administration at Johns Hopkins University, Homewood Campus and oversees a staff of 9 full time employees.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide strategic support, thought leadership, and technical experience in the design and evolution of university-wide student billing functions.
- Develop strategies and lead transformational efforts to improve customer service, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Promote and foster a culture that champions and supports continual improvements to the student experience.
- Represent the university with respect to student account interests on cross-functional issues or initiatives.
- Oversee and manage the Homewood Student Accounts Office, responsible for billing and collection of university fees, disbursement of aid, refunding, reporting, payment plans, and other related functions.
- Oversee and manage a Shared Services Center responsible for third party billing/payment application and other evolving functions.
- Determine priorities and manage resources to maintain and enhance the accuracy of students’ accounts.
- Ensure compliance with Federal and State policies and procedures regarding billing, Title IV and other refunds, collections, tax reporting, and data privacy.
- Establish effective working relationships with partner departments in resolving short-term issues and promoting long-term initiatives, such as: Offices of Financial Aid, Registrar, Admissions, Treasury Operations and other departments to ensure accurate student financial records.
- Participate in student information system and other technology RFP and vendor selection processes.
- Oversee user testing and implementation of new systems, software and system upgrades.
- Recommend enhancements to systems for improved accuracy and display of data for students, parents, and administrative users.
- Serve on university-wide and divisional committees, e.g. Student Services Excellence Initiative, SBS Users Group, Tuition Refund Appeals Committee, Leave of Absence Policies, Term Start Operations, etc.
- Lead/chair committees, subcommittees, working groups, and/or projects as requested.
- Establish and maintain customer service standards and metrics within Homewood Student Accounts and the Shared Services Center.
- Ensure a high level of customer satisfaction to the campus community through efficient and timely service.
- Support audits and evaluate audit recommendations/options for implementation and budgetary consequences.
- Establish, track and monitor departmental budget. Also establish budget for A/S and ENG Allowance for Doubtful Account/ Bad Debt Expense and ensure proper funding.
- Recruit, hire, and supervise staff of 8 direct and indirect reports.
- Develop and support efforts to establish and maintain a collaborative work environment, promote staff development, and foster service excellence.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in finance, accounting, business management or related field.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years progressively related experience required, including supervisory experience.
- Previous experience in student accounts or general accounting setting required.
- Prior work experience in an academic setting preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to handle confidential information; diplomatic manner needed to resolve problems or concerns of parents, students, and administrators.
- Prior experience with system selection and implementation preferred.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information