Senior Academic Program Coordinator
Classified Title: Sr. Academic Program Coordinator
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OF
Starting Salary Range: $19.62 to $27.00 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:00-4:30
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001486-Dept of Chemical and Biomolecular Engrg
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The position is responsible for overseeing the administrative tasks related to the activities for 250+ graduate students in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (ChemBE). along with the department Administrator and the Director of Graduate Studies They will organize, update and maintain office files, and process all documents related to ChemBE graduate academic affairs. They will maintain consistent data across applications used by all University and Whiting School offices. They will manage recruitment, admissions, scheduling, and event planning for all graduate student activities.
The incumbent is expected to perform the various duties independently, with minimal supervision. This position also coordinates other business and administrative activities related to development and implementation of academic functions in the department.
The Primary Duties and Responsibilities of the Job:
- Manage the degree audit system, including documenting and tracking program exceptions for every student, and communicating curriculum changes to Academic Affairs
- Serve as main resource for academic inquiries from within and outside of JHU
- Establish and oversee orientation of incoming students
- Manage the registration process and provide support to maintain a smooth process
- Coordinate and assign graders and teaching assistants(TAs) for all department required courses
- Assign faculty advisors and coordinate advising week – communicate with faculty and students; release hold if necessary
- Oversee and manage the scheduling of student deliverables in keeping with program requirements, deadlines and paperwork submission
- Collaborate with faculty in implementing and devising new graduate student academic policies and programs
- Communicate on Director’s behalf to various student services departments on academic matters
- Oversee process of materials and supply orders and classroom assignments
- Plans and supervises the implementation of all events for graduate students
- Monitor and update Communication Specialist for content on related websites
- Oversee graduation celebrations for degree candidates
- Update course catalog and other publications as needed
- Assemble information packets for prospective students
- Schedule Graduate Board Oral Exams and Master’s Thesis Presentations
- Provide assistance to AIChE student organization
- Plan and organize ChemBE’s participation in annual AIChE conference
- Coordinate with Director of Graduate Studies and the Graduate Admissions office & other JHU departments to establish department’s admissions’ deadline
- Provide reports, recommendations, and data to the Admissions Committees
- Facilitate and attend Admissions Committee meetings
- Process fee waiver requests for applicants
- Update information in Apply Yourself (AY) as needed
- Enter final decision into AY
- Oversee preparation of on-line files
- Oversee notification to non-admitted applicants
- Oversee tuition payments for graduate students and processing of DGA
- Initiate ISRs, e-forms and other financial documents
- Act as point of contact for graduate student salary, tuition and health insurance, and DGA submission
- Process all student related paperwork including timesheets
- Reimbursements for graduate students, including petty cash, payroll, and non-employee reimbursement
- Process invoices related to graduate program
- Assist faculty liaison with MULY and PURA awards each semester
- Serve as back up for the academic program coordinator for the undergraduate program
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma/GED. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Five years progressively responsible administrative/academic experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong organizational, administrative and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to interpret requirements and guidelines
- Ability to provide high-level support in academic matters to the Director, faculty and students
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Knowledge of software applications such as SIS, ApplyYourself (AY), SAP, and Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
Important legal information