Position collaborates closely with Trauma Center staff to maintain the efficient operations of hospital, state, and national trauma registry. Maintains the database unique to trauma registry. This can include identification, collection, coding, scoring, and entering of data into a registry database. Interprets data for research projects. Ensures adherence to data management protocols set forth to insure regulatory compliance standards. Assists with quality control activities, information requests, and quality improvement studies as requested.
A high degree of skill set is need in the following areas: independence and self-direction, strong degree of interpersonal skills, critical thinking, decision making, problem solving, working knowledge of Microsoft office to include above average knowledge in word and excel. Previous experience in data abstraction, ICD9 & 10 codes, medical procedure coding and injury severity scoring strongly preferred. Additional preference is given to EMT, Paramedic, LPN, RN, Medical Coder, RHIT, etc.
- Identification, collection, from the medical record, and entry into the trauma database, of approximately 450 data points on each trauma patient in addition to database qualification meeting trauma criteria for inclusion.
- Analyzing data for accuracy and validating for submission to the state and national databases in accordance with established matrix.
- Coordinate with outside agencies to obtain required information to meet standards as determined by the State of North Carolina and the American College of Surgeons.
- Participate in local, state, and national meetings and conferences as required by state and national regulations.
- Act as a resource for others in the abstracting and coding of trauma injuries.
- Must obtain a minimum of 8 hours per year of external trauma registry education.
- Collaborate with software vendor and IT services to insure the continuing function of the trauma registry database.
- Independently research and solve complex coding problems.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Serve as mentor and educational resource to Level I Trauma Registrars.
Requisition Number: 300000335
Duke Entity: DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code: 4162 TRAUMA REGISTRAR / TUMOR REGISTRAR
Job Family: Level D1
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
- High School diploma plus 2 years post high school education or associated work experience Knowledge of basic medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology Must be able to work in a team atmosphere Demonstrates ability in successful interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
- Trauma registrar certification or license as a registered or practical nurse.
- One year experience as a Trauma or Tumor registrar OR medical records OR similar health-related experience.
- 3-5 years experience as a registrar OR 2 years as a license nurse with hospital experience
Degrees, Licensure, Certifications
- For Trauma Registrars, eligible for Trauma Registry exam. For Tumor Registrars, without an applicable associate's degree, not eligible to take Tumor Registrar exam.
- Certified Trauma Registrar
Auto req: ID105975BR