Technician for Tests of Magnets and Components
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you attracted by the idea of working in a unique context at the heart of the superconducting magnet test facility, integrating a motivating team of colleagues from different cultures and fields of expertise? Would you like to learn about testing of superconducting materials, magnets and other devices at cryogenic temperature?
Contribute your skills to the measurement of the magnets and other devices being developed for the CERN accelerators. Take part!
The Superconducting Magnet Test Facility (TF) section is responsible for cold powering test of magnets and the development of all associated technologies. TF section is responsible for the exploitation, maintenance and improvements of the test infrastructures. It gives feedback to magnet designers and qualifies production magnets for their use in the LHC.
The successful candidate will participate in the operation of the installations and the magnet testing, both at room and at cryogenic temperatures. Under the supervision of skilled test engineers, in collaboration with other groups, and depending on the specific device and test required, the person will configure and exploit the measuring systems, participate in the data acquisition and data analysis. The job also entails maintenance of existing test infrastructure, as well as development, manufacturing, and commissioning of new instrumentation for the test installations.
The duties of the selected candidate will be:
- To participate to cryogenic powering test of superconducting magnets, components and devices, such as bus bars, diodes, current trasfer labels. This work implies the preparation of the device to be tested, cabling and instrumentation schemes, setting-up of the instrumentation, electrical testing at room and at cryogenic temperature, and cold test operation through the different applications used in the control room (typically written in the NI-“LabVIEW and NI-“Diadem languages”).
- To set up and adjust custom-developed electronics used for the device protection, verification of the interlock system and communication with support groups.
- To inspect, test, adjust and repair electric, electronic, mechanical, and pneumatic instruments and systems used to indicate, record, and control signals used for the operations the cryogenic test facility at CERN.
- Troubleshooting problems affecting electrical and powering tests, if necessary with expert support from other groups.
- Participation in the installation, testing, commissioning and maintenance of new test stands.
- Maintenance and calibration of instrumentation, and replacing and/or repairing defective parts.
- Documenting events, updating or creating operating procedures accordingly.
Higher technical diploma in the field of Technical diploma or equivalent experience in electricity, electronics, industrial control, instrumentation or similar field. or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in testing electrical systems. Testing of superconducting materials, devices, magnets or other components would be an asset.
- Proven experience in the exploitation of large industrial control systems or acquisition systems including associated electronics hardware and software technologies.
- Experience in LabVIEW and Diadem would be an asset.
- Initial experience in the application of safety analysis and measures in complex systems.
- Knowledge and application of instrumentation and measurement techniques: (as thermometers, strain gauges, level meters, valves etc).
- Testing and measurement of analog electronic circuits.
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems; taking action to address them
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
Good knowledge of English or French; ability to understand and speak the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 11.11.2018.
Contract type: limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-MSC-TF-2018-106-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Accelerator/Industrial Process Operations Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further