Curriculum Specialist, Python Programming
Classified Title: Curriculum Specialist
Working Title: Curriculum Specialist - Python Programming
Starting Salary Range: $38,537 - $52,989
Employee group: Limited
Schedule: hours and schedule will vary
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: 10000113-DE Math Science Computer Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today’s brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY’s diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve. CTY Online Programs offers students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit: cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline
Under the support and supervision of the CTY staff, the employee will develop curricula for the Introduction to Computer Science with Python course for academically talented high-school students, as specified in the work-for-hire agreement, including all lecture scripts, assignments, activities, quizzes, and other course related materials.
- Produce detailed curriculum materials for the Introduction to Computer Science with Python course as specified in the work-for-hire agreement.
- Produce curriculum materials for a 3-months Introduction to Computer Science with Python course for academically talented students, including objectives, lecture scripts, assignments, activities/exercises, quizzes, exams, solution files, rubrics, and other course related materials.
- Additional expectations are specified in the work-for-hire agreement.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Minimum of one year of teaching experience in an educational setting, with experience teaching computer science.
- Experience writing curriculum and instruction, preferably in the area of gifted education.
- Must have personal computer.
- Master’s degree in computer science or related field is preferred.
- 3–5 years of teaching experience preferred, with experience teaching computer science.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of Python programming language.
- Knowledge of both college and pre-college education highly desired.
- Strong pedagogical and content knowledge.
- Experience in out-of-school time academic programs desired.
- Ability to produce high quality lesson plans in a limited amount of time.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
Internal and External Contacts Required as part of the job:
- Contact with the primary department and other CTY Academic departments as needed.
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US and be based in the US, or another jurisdiction where JHU has an authorized business entity.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information