Data Technician,Social Science Research Institute
Perform a variety of complex technical activities involved in the planning, development, and implementation of multi-county study of families, health and stress in older African Americans.
Schedule and conduct interviews for the study and record research data in accordance with specified study protocol and procedures. Collect and enter research data into a computer database and/or spreadsheet application for subsequent analysis. This position requires travel to Durham and Wake counties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Research Specialist, will participate in recruitment and marketing strategies to enroll potential subjects in the study. The primary responsibility will be to identify and contact prospective research subjects by telephone, and schedule and conduct in-home interviews. The research specialist will also be responsible for accurately completing and inputting data into a computer database. In addition, they will participate in a seminar relevant to research on health disparities and aging.
Bachelor’s degree is required and at least 1 year of experience that can be demonstrated to be applicable to the duties listed in the job description. Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis. Directly related higher education gained from an accredited institution may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Required:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Clerical, word processing, Excel skills, data entry
- Identify and compile lists of potential research subjects that meet eligibility criteria in accordance to the parameters of the study protocol.
- Development of interview schedules; contacts potential subjects to introduce and explain study objectives and protocol, and to arrange interviews
- Conduct interviews with minority research subjects consistent with predetermined interview protocol, data collection procedures, and documentation standards.
- Enter, review and edit data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follows up with research subjects to resolve problems or clarify data collected.
- Calibrate and maintain field research equipment, as specified by the requirements of the study.
- Ability to travel within the designated counties within NC to collect and record data as appropriate to the specific objectives of the study
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- Majority of tasks performed in the field.
Requisition Number: 401507040
Duke Entity: UNIVERSITY
Job Code: 260 DATA TECH
Job Family: Level 07
Full Time / Part Time: FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary: Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in a field related to the specific position.
None required above education/training requirements.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req: ID105908BR