- Operation of sonographic equipment, perform and communicate results of diagnostic examinations using sonography.
- Performs clinical assessment and diagnostic ultrasound examinations.
- Exams include, but may not be limited to, abdominal, vascular, small parts, ob-gyn, vascular, infant head/hip/spine, and interventional
- Follow established departmental policy.
- Uses cognitive sonographic skills to identify, record, and adapt procedures as appropriate to anatomical, pathological, diagnostic information and images.
- Uses independent judgment during the sonographic exam to accurately differentiate between normal and pathologic findings.
- Analyzes sonograms, synthesizes sonographic information and medical history, and communicates findings to the Radiologist.
- Assume responsibility for the safety, mental and physical comfort of patients while they are in the sonographer's care. Communicate effectively with the patient and the health care team, recognizing the special nature of sonographic examinations and patient's needs.
- Assists with the daily operations of the ultrasound department.
- Completes exam tracking/billing accurately on a daily basis.
- Maintains ultrasound equipment and work area, and maintains adequate supplies.
- Establishes and maintains productive ethical working relationships with coworkers, referring providers and commercial agencies.
- Assist in training of ultrasound students during clinical rotations.
- Proficient in the performance of ultrasound procedures and does not require assistance from fellow sonographers.
- Provide direction and instruction to existing personnel and training to new sonographers.
- Assist in teaching of ultrasound technology to new physicians, residents, and fellows.
- Coordinates with other staff to assure appropriate patient care is provided.
- Reports equipment failures to the appropriate supervisor or staff member.
- Participates in the maintenance of laboratory accreditation.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned and other related duties incidental to the work herein
**DUHS offers career growth and enrichment within Imaging services.
There is a clinical ladder program with various steps and opportunities at each hospital within the health system.
Requisition Number 401504305
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 4163 SONOGRAPHER
Job Family Level F2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Graduate of a formal Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) is required. Bachelor of Science degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography is desirable.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Current compliance with Continuing Medical Education (CME) requirements for specialty (ies) as appropriate.
- Level I Must obtain ARDMS certifications in the following (Abdomen, OB/GYN, Vascular) as required by each entity within 18 months of employment.
- Level II Minimum of two years' experience as a Sonographer.
- Level III A minimum of four years' experience within specialty modality in which they are seeking promotion BLS certification
Auto req ID