General Description of the Job Class
The Administrative Specialist, PRMO, assists Senior Leadership and directors by providing high level administrative support and routinely applying administrative, operational and financial knowledge to resolve complex administrative problems independently or with others.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Leadership Administrative Support:
- Anticipates Divisional Chief Human Resource Officer and HR Manager(s) needs and proactively works to bring together the appropriate individuals and resources to support the director/manager in addressing issues related to the PRMO.
- Acts as a liaison for the PRMO HR department with other Duke senior administration offices and external community offices.
- Interprets departmental policies and procedures and make decisions on specific operating issues. Issues instructions in the name of the departmental head in accordance with departmental precedents and policies.
- Prepare minutes and agendas for key Human Resource meetings including departmental staff meetings, Operations forums, and large training meetings.
- Draft internal and external communication on behalf of HR based on knowledge of PRMO operations and research involving communicating with various staff levels.
- Attend internal meetings on behalf of the Divisional CHRO or HR manager as needed to ensure Human Resource representation.
- Relieves the Divisional Chief Human Resource Officer and HR Manager of routine administrative duties; exercises initiative and independent judgment and decision making in director’s absence.
- Staff member will assist and independently prepare presentations (i.e. event presentations, orientation, and on-boarding) for large group meetings.
- Interact professionally and effectively with offices across the PRMO, health system and PDC and be responsive to leadership offices, staff, patients and office visitors.
- Administrative Duties:
- Requires extensive calendar scheduling and maintenance of multiple executive calendars; scheduling of large group meetings on a routine basis such as Safety Marshall/Fire Safety meetings.
- Schedule travel itineraries, and coordinate related arrangements for assigned Directors.
- Schedule confidential HR meetings and maintain logs as directed.
- Routinely prepare training material for monthly training sessions that HR is responsible for delivering.
- Answer HR main telephone line and triage calls for assigned directors and managers.
- Responsible for payroll functions for department to include timekeeping for biweekly and/or monthly staff.
- Support departmental recruitment efforts. Duties may include scheduling telephone and onsite interviews with candidates and preparing interview panel packets.
- Assist in orientation of all new hires to the department including paperwork, badge activation, orientation booklet, and other onboarding activities.
- Routinely create the HR section of new hire packets to assist in the onboarding process for new hires.
- Prepare and sign onto WebEx calls as necessary for HR department.
- Research and compile information for reports and presentations, often independently preparing data and official reports, and assisting with performance documentation and metrics.
- Conduct research as assigned for projects to include web searches, phone calls, etc.
- Maintain timely filing of documents for directors and managers as assigned; including cataloging and processing documents for Iron Mountain.
- Create and maintain departmental organization charts monthly.
- Order office supplies for department and efficiently maintain supplies to meet departmental needs.
- Prepare and distribute monthly PTO calendar for HR department.
- Provide backup assistance for other administrative support efforts as needed.
- Financial Management/Project Management:
- Assist with planning, developing and monitoring assigned portions of departmental budget.
- Requires daily reconciliation of procurement card expenses.
- Manage and document travel expenses within budgetary requirements.
- Create and process all routine check requests and expense forms for departments.
- Develop and manage projects of confidential nature as assigned.
- Project management will include preparation of project plans, oversight of project milestones and budget tracking.
- Develop advanced presentation materials; independently prepare complex documentation, reports, charts, graphs, and spreadsheets at designated intervals and as requested.
- Prepare data compilation for projects as directed, i.e., Qualtric surveys.
- Event Planning and Production:
- Plan and coordinate special events as assigned, including conferences, meetings, retreats, seminars or other related high level activity where the leadership is in charge of event.
- Assist in planning and executing PRMO wide events for staff.
- Utilize project management skills to develop detailed project plans and tracking of event milestones, alternative options, budget and expected outcomes for events as assigned.
- Duties listed above require sitting, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, bending, stooping and lifting up to 25 lbs. daily.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of department policies, procedures, and goals as well as administrative support in completing complex tasks.
- Demonstrated the understanding of basic leadership approaches such as work scheduling, prioritizing and coaching.
- Demonstrated success applying highest level of secretarial skills
- Demonstrated the ability to gain the confidence and cooperation of peers.
- Demonstrated editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet demanding deadlines.
- Must be self-directed and able to take initiative.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Requisition Number 401503983
Duke Entity PRMO
Job Code 4556 ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST
Job Family Level D2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
High school education or equivalent with five years of administrative support experience of increasing variety, complexity and demonstration of work leadership.Two years post secondary education with three years of experience.Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Auto req ID