1. Event Planning:
- Work with faculty member to coordinate guest speaker visits and conferences. Which include but not exhaustive in nature: schedule rooms, arrange travel, lodging
- Assist visitors and guest speakers with distribution of colloquium handouts, ensuring all audio and video needs are scheduled and setup via internal tech support, if needed.
- Advertise & promote events on department website, flyer and listserv
- Process honoraria payment & travel reimbursement for guest speakers in a timely manner specified by department.
- Prepare and setup reception following event.
- Aid in planning & coordinating annual department events (welcome party, holiday party, prospective grad student visits, commencement reception, etc.). Schedule all department events securing room and tech support if needed.
2. Project Management:
- Process department employee travel and reimbursement (ET&R) expense reports, accurately and in a timely manner as specified by department.
- Prepare AP check requests for vendors, honoraria & travel reimbursements for guest speakers, etc., accurately and in a timely manner as specified by department.
- Monitor ET&R report sending notifications to staff & faculty requesting outstanding expense receipts.
- Assist with review and reconciliation for departmental travel expenses
3. Office Management & Clerical Support:
- Serve as first point of contact for department: greet visitors, route incoming calls, and field inquiries.
- Update information on department website and information monitor regularly.
- Schedule department meetings on 25Live d) Maintain inventory of general office and break room supplies. Place orders as needed.
- Assist with recruiting, training and supervising 1-2 work study students. Delegate tasks as needed & follow up to ensure tasks completion & quality.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Job skills required:
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in fulfilling and prioritizing tasks
- Ability to multi-task and work productively amidst distractions.
- Ability to promote and incorporate time management skills in prioritizing tasks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to update department website
- Preferable experience with Duke financial systems, and Duke accounting forms.
Requisition Number 401506212
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 148 STAFF ASST
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR and equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Auto req ID