Clinical Research Specialist, Part-time, Duson
Part Time Position - Up to 20 hours per week
This position includes HIV prevention research funded by the National Institute for Nursing Research and the Center for AIDS Research to conduct the feasibility and acceptability of a salon based intervention to increase awareness and use of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis among Black women living in the United States South. During this one year study, this team member will be responsible for recruiting, consenting and enrolling participants in the study at various community settings, mainly hair salons, in Raleigh/Durham and surrounding areas of North Carolina as well as assisting with data collection and dissemination. The job requires occasional travel in the Raleigh/Durham area and will be a primarily remote position. Supervisor: This position reports to the Principal Investigator and the School of Nursing Research Oversight and Compliance Core.
- Clinical research operations. Identify participants that meet eligibility requirements under the supervision of the PI. Document in record. Schedule participants for study visits as directed. Prepare necessary documents, equipment, supplies, etc. Conduct and document visits and protocol-specific testing/interviews according to study protocol, operational plans of clinical departments, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for minimal risk studies or for other studies under direction. Maintain subject level documentation for minimal risk studies, or for other studies under direction. Follow procedures and documentation of study payment. Employ strategies to maintain recruitment and retention rates, and to assist participants with individual needs. Assist with maintenance of study level documentation. Provide input for adverse event reports. Collect, prepare or process adverse event information under supervision. Assist with preparation of study monitoring and audit visits.
- Ethical and participant safety considerations. Be familiar with the ethical conduct of research, and safeguards needed when conducting research with vulnerable populations. Understand that the safety of research participants is a priority.
- Data management and informatics. Use Electronic Data Capture (EDC) systems, technologies, and software necessary for study operations with little assistance. Enter data accurately. Score tests and measures according to protocol, and appropriate to role. Assist in investigating incomplete, inaccurate, or missing data/documents to ensure accuracy and completeness of data; follow SOPs for data quality assurance. Use required processes, policies, and systems to ensure data integrity, provenance, and security.
- Scientific concepts and research design. Conduct literature reviews under the direction of the CRC, CRNC, or PI.
- Leadership and professionalism. Recognize and employ the professional guidelines and code of ethics related to the conduct of clinical research. Maintain Duke and project specific training requirements.
- Communication and team science. Participate in study team meetings. Respond to routine questions related to study protocol and refer more complex questions to others as appropriate. Communicate and coordinate with other study personnel as required for study implementation and routine problem resolution. Write and speak clearly in a variety of settings and styles to convey messages and ideas effectively.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Qualifications at this Level Education/Training 1. Work requires an associate’s degree. Completion of a Bachelor's degree preferred. Experience working with research studies preferred. Skills: Candidate must be able to easily use computing software and web-based applications (e.g., Microsoft Office products and internet browsers). Be skilled at conducting literature reviews and searches.
Requisition Number 401504666
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 802 CLINICAL RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Job Family Level 07
Full Time / Part Time PART TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires an associates degree.
None above education listed above
Auto req ID