Stanford University Department of Dermatology is seeking an Accountant 1 to perform moderately complex accounting activities and functions, including monitoring accounts, preparing documentation, expenditure reconciliations and reviews, revenue reporting/accounting, purchases and reimbursements, general ledger transactions, and journal entries.
- Review, process, gather, and compile accounting transactions and documents for completeness, accuracy, and compliance. Contribute to development of analyses to be used for key activities or decision making.
- Identify, prioritize, and resolve accounting issues; probe beyond stated situation; identify underlying issues; recognize exceptions; perform preliminary analysis.
- Run, maintain, reconcile, review, combine, analyze and validate financial data sets, utilizing financial reports, financial databases, and key financial information often from multiple systems. Assist in the preparation of basic management information reports.
- Identify and resolve incorrect journal entries, data anomalies, deviations from established procedures, and unusual issues.
- Collect data and perform research on details of transactions. Ensure work complies with complex internal policies and external regulations which may require interpretation.
- Participate as a member of a project team and contribute to change management strategy through communication and collaboration with others.
- Recommend, assist, test, or implement process streamlining, system improvements or work flow changes.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of desktop procedures and process documentation for area of responsibility.
- Serve as a liaison to other departments to resolve accounting-related issues.
- May train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Associate degree plus two years of applicable experience, or combination of education and relevant work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Proficiency in basic business applications, such as Microsoft Office; user knowledge of Excel.
- Basic knowledge of accounting systems and the internet; computer literacy.
- Understanding of and ability to apply accounting skills and concepts.
- Ability to draft professional e-mails, memos, business letters, and reports, and to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal audiences and client groups.
- Ability to learn project management skills and to participate as part of a project team.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
- Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.