CO Senior Clinical Nurse
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Work Schedule/Hours: M-F 9-5
Department name: 10002808-SOM DOM Gastroenterology
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Personnel area: School of Medicine
THe CO Sr. Clinical Nurse will be responsible for making decisions regarding patient care; serves as patient advocate; demonstrates responsibility and accountability with patients, family members, other providers and support personnel regarding patient care/and or unit operations. Exercises independent, professional judgment and decision making on a consistent basis. Adapts to changes in technology and software to ensure efficient office practice. Serves as a clinical nurse leader in the division of Gastroenterology and demonstrates extensive knowledge of gastrointestinal diseases.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- This position’s primary duty will be to provide clinical support to the Gastroenterology and Hepatology Physicians. The individual will provide direct patient care based on the nursing process; works collaboratively with a multidisciplinary health care team to optimize team performance.
- Ensure patient and physician calls are returned in a timely manner, and all patient interactions are documented appropriately in EPIC.
- Triage patients, responding as needed, or forwarding a detailed message to the appropriate physician.
- Answer questions from patients regarding physician instructions, medications, prescription refills, testing results, and/or other aspects of clinical care.
- Retrieve diagnostic results, coordinate physician sign-off of results, and call patients with results according to clinic protocol. Assumes responsibility for own professional development and remains current in clinical practice by attending relevant continuing education. Assist physicians in the clinic
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for time management, professional relationships and interpersonal interactions. Regularly attends all outpatient clinics, assisting with patient management when necessary.
- Assists physicians in conducting comprehensive, age appropriate and episodic health assessment of patients/families with real, potential, acute and/or chronic health problems, which may include the psychosocial, cognitive and personal assets and limitations of the patient/family with an emphasis on wellness.
- Assesses and/or manages follow-up plans, specific to the age of patient served.
- Regularly gives effective, complete and accurate instructions regarding good health maintenance including disease prevention and home health care according to department guidelines and under the supervision of a physician.
- Records and documents health assessment data necessary to maintain, coordinate and/or expedite required services.
- Acts as a resource to health care staff and implements educational programs to improve health status of patients/families, taking into consideration the developmental needs of the patients and families.
- Regularly attends medical rounds with physician or members of medical staff upon request.
- Provides nursing assistance across the division as needed.
- Regularly attends conferences and continuing medical education opportunities to further their expertise in the field of Gastroenterology.
- Assists clinical nurses in the division of GI with complex patients requiring sophisticated plans of care.
- Participates in the development of other staff, organizing educational opportunities, in-services as needed and regularly attending and leading meetings related to the operational flow of the division.
- Responsible for actively engaging in practice work-flows within their subspecialty.
- Maintains current and expert working knowledge of EPIC and serves as a trainer throughout the division.
BSN degree required and at least two (2) years of clinical nursing experience within specialty or related area required. Current Maryland State RN Licensure required. Completion of the JHU credentialing process to include verification of CPR certification is required prior to start date. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment.
Masters and five (5) years of specialized experience in Gastroenterology and more than two (2) years of direct patient care is strongly desired.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus