Linux System Administrator/Development Operations Engineer, DCI
DCI OFFICE OF RESEARCH SUPPORT
This position is with the Duke Cancer Institute (DCI) and specializes in system infrastructure and/or application/database/web development. The position provides infrastructure support, and works closely with other teams within DCI IT, DHTS Operations, OIT Operations, Networking, Database, and other infrastructure support groups.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Ability to work with a team to engineer solutions and solve problems involving both Windows and Linux systems
- Ability to occasionally work outside of your area of expertise to assist the DCI IT group with building more complex solutions
- Administer system infrastructure to include servers, storage, and backup technologies and/or application development platforms and customer facing applications
- Work collaboratively with team and vendors to provide continuing maintenance and support on all production and test/development systems
- Test minor updates and security patches. Install operating systems and application updates and hardware bios upgrades on all targeted systems after approved release of updates for full-scale deployment
- Design, implement, maintain, upgrade, and patch systems to be compliant with Duke security policies and standards regarding protection from external and internal security attacks. Assist in ensuring Information Security Office procedures have been fulfilled when necessary
- Ensure adherence to all IT and department policy, processes and procedures.
- Technical assistance for IT issues, supporting both application and operational teams through systems analysis, diagnosis, trouble-shooting, performance analysis and resolution
- May participate in an on-call and/or shift rotation that provides 24x7x365 coverage of mission critical systems
- Research and remediate generic and system-specific vulnerabilities
- Develop knowledge base articles, work instructions and other documentation for use by department and customers
- Responsible for monitoring of processes, system triage and recovery, providing advanced technical management for all Windows and/or UNIX based systems within the Duke infrastructure, systems analysis and diagnosis, troubleshooting, performance analysis and resolution
- Provide technical mentorship to team members, peers, and management
- Work collaboratively with customer management, staff, and other stakeholders. Interface to customers/vendors
- Maintain documentation and validation processes to ensure adherence to institutional, state, and federal policies and regulations
And other work as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent technical experience plus an additional four years IT experience required.
- Working knowledge of incident management
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP technologies necessary to configure servers and troubleshoot network errors
- Ability to follow change configuration management protocols and update systems documentation based on Duke and industry best practices processes
- Solid understanding of the IT industry primarily relating to Linux and Windows operating systems, VMware, Citrix, server system architectures, storage systems, system administration tools, and/or application development, and database technologies
- Excellent technical skills to support the organization and assist team members across departments
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and be able to apply critical thinking skills while meeting impending deadlines
- Good analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Good verbal and written skills
- Proficient with incident and problem management
- Proficient with configuration management.
- Proficient with change control policies and procedures.
- Strong business skills with an attention to end user and customer satisfaction.
- Excellent people skill and ability to work across multiple teams
- Strong verbal/written communication skills to interact with team members, customers, management and support personnel (technical and non-technical)
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and switch between tasks quickly during high stress situations
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Red-Hat Linux, Windows, VMware and Citrix
- SAN and NAS technologies such as EMC, IBM, and HP EVA
- Managing and maintaining a Linux environment. Red Hat Enterprise Linux preferred
- Infrastructure includes - Server administration (Windows, Red Hat Linux, and/or AIX) - Experience configuring and installing servers used in mid-size networks (100 – 1000 users)
- Implementation of Docker, Kubernetes containers and associated technologies on the Linux platform
- Implementation of technologies to support a continuous integration and development environment. Experience with Ansible, Jenkins, Puppet and Gitlab preferred.
- Application Support – Vendor supported and Custom Applications including Database connections and Web based applications
- Microcomputer skills (including Linux, Windows 7, Windows 10)
- Microsoft Office application suite
- Experience supporting web-based content management systems (Drupal, WordPress, etc.) with Git integration. Implementation with Docker, Kubernetes preferred
- Experience implementing and supporting Ansible, Jenkins, Puppet and Gitlab on Linux and/or Windows
- Experience in developing applications or scripts using Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP
- Experience working with web infrastructure technologies including Apache HTTP server, Tomcat 6.0+, NGINX, PHP-FPM, Varnish, Redis and others
- Strong knowledge of security configurations (SSL/TLS) in Apache & NGINX Web layer
- Strong understanding of Linux/UNIX architecture principles and practices, especially Red-Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Project management experience
- Technical certifications
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
The intent of this job description is to be representative of the level and the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of this position and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities.
Requisition Number 401504214
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 2426 ANALYST, IT, SR
Job Family Level D
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID