Sign Shop Technician
Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) is the operational core of Stanford University’s physical campus. LBRE constructs and maintains the Stanford campus, where advancements across the academic spectrum are made possible. Our work is founded upon the collective value of dedication, innovation, expertise, teamwork, and continuous improvement. We are committed to serving the university’s academic mission, as well as preserving and enhancing Stanford’s 8,180 acres, and pride ourselves on supporting the teaching and research of the university as “Caretakers of a Legacy."
Who we are we and What we do?
We are the sign shop, we are the signs that you see as you make your way to around the beautiful 8000+ plus acres at Stanford University.
Need a new nameplate for your door? Holding a conference and need to advertise? Whether you need to tell people where to go, or are replacing a sign that was damaged, we have you covered. Our Sign Shop can create custom signs for a variety of needs or duplicate ANY existing sign, regardless of the material used in the original sign.
Custom signs: office, street, special event, etc. Name plates, Custom white boards: striping, labels, etc. Decals for vehicles; permanent and magnetic
Who you are
You are the Sign Shop Technician.
You are an experienced individual with a passion for creating the best quality signs for your audience. You know that aesthetics is just as important as the quality of the materials you use to create your art.
You have knowledge of the latest technology used in sign design and creation and you require minimal guidance as you step into the sign shop at LBRE. You possess excellent customer service skills and you help consult with clients on signage needs, give suggestions, and provide realistic timelines.
You know your way around the latest software but you also safely operate tools commonly in the industry, such as cutters and drills. One of your mantras is “Teamwork” and as such, you are open to performing additional tasks to assist other shops as needed.
You have experience completing work by following verbal and written instructions and you able to communicate well with others, creating relationships with internal and external staff. You are able to lift up to 75 lb., climb ladders, bend and stoop intermittently, and work in elevated temperature zones. You able to recognize and report asbestos hazards. You have at least 2 years of experience in the trade. This may include time spent as an apprentice or in vocational training. Driving Stanford vehicles to client sites will be required, but that’s ok as you have a valid California driver's license.
Your primary will responsibilities include:
- Take direction from the Shop Lead and assists in all stages of projects and also manages projects independently.
- Consultation with clients, designing and producing signage, signage installation, communicating with other shops during collaborative assignments, and ordering materials.
- Periodically partner with university clients (i.e., University Architecture Office) to ensure there is continuity with the Sign Shop and University signage requirements. The position has the opportunity for growth in expanding the production capabilities of the shop and becoming more involved in graphic design.
- Driving university vehicles around campus to meet clients and perform work
- Fill in for the lead on an “as needed basis”
To be Successful in this position, you will bring:
- Working knowledge of a large format solvent printer, vinyl plotter, engraver, and each machine’s accompanying software.
- Have basic knowledge of maintenance and cleaning of Sign Shop equipment.
- Experience with estimating sign work when the Lead Sign Technician is unavailable.
- Knowledge of the materials, tools and techniques used in the sign industry
- Knowledge of Large format printers, vinyl plotter, and engraver and accompanying software.
- Knowledge of various graphic file types and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Knowledge of Graphic design concepts applicable to the signage industry.
Experience in the following areas is required:
- Weeding and taping cut vinyl graphics.
- Applying cut vinyl and printed graphics to substrates common in the sign industry.
- Installing cut vinyl and printed graphics on site and on vehicles.
- Graphic removals from vehicles, glass, and other surfaces.
Full time [100% FTE] 40 hours a week
Monday Through Friday starting at 7:00AM to 3:30PM
We have a high peak season and it will require overtime with weekend work.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Final offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, driving record.