User Support Specialist
Stanford University is one of the world’s leading teaching and research universities and has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world. Its faculty and students approach teaching, learning, and leadership in a spirit of discovery and service; its researchers take medical, environmental, and information technology constantly into new frontiers; its graduates start some of the most successful businesses anywhere. And Stanford’s staff is behind it all.
Join the Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL) to promote and advance the vibrant intellectual endeavor of teaching and learning at Stanford by seeding inquiry, supporting innovation, fostering communities of practice, enriching the depth and range of learning experiences, leveraging digital technology to make research and scholarship more broadly accessible, and providing meaningful educational opportunities to additional audiences around the world.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL) is seeking an experienced Canvas User Support Specialist to serve as the technical support expert for students, faculty and academic support staff who utilize the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) to enhance the teaching and learning experience. The Canvas User Support Specialist is a member of the Canvas Faculty and End User Support services team and will report to the Associate Director, Canvas Outreach and Engagement.
Stanford seeks people committed to excellence and to improving our world. If you are an enthusiastic, lifelong learner, inspired by achievement around you, self-motivated, really good at making customers happy, passionate about mentoring, and not afraid of experimentation, then we’re looking for you.
Serve as the technical expert for support to end-users for computer hardware, software, and network related problems and/or lead desktop staff and assist with support operations.
- Act as technical expert providing support to students, faculty and academic support staff using the Canvas LMS. Address help requests submitted via ticketing system, as well as respond to escalated issues and resolve or refer to specialized expert as needed.
- Provide guidance to vendor sourced Canvas tier one support to diagnose and resolve client problems; guide tier one support on diagnosis of potential problems and resolutions.
- Lead projects requiring technical expertise and creativity in analysis and deployment of technology.
- Ensure team meets client service metrics goals. Monitor and report on all phases of computing support and ensure that they are coordinated, logged, tracked, and resolved appropriately. May establish service level agreements with clients.
- Provide input on process improvements, user experience issues, feature gaps and contribute to the technology road map for the strategic plan.
- May perform metrics trend analysis and reporting; guiding resultant process improvement.
- Contribute to the development, communication and implementation of policies, procedures, best practices, recommendations, and guidelines for standards.
- Provide technical guidance, training and documentation; may guide other staff.
- Collaborate with software developers and user experience specialists to investigate, reproduce and document software bugs.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
- Two-year college degree and five years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of the Canvas LMS.
- Experience with installing and configuring LTI tools
- Must have advanced level expertise in diagnostic techniques for problem-solving and troubleshooting.
- Ability to plan effectively and to manage/supervise projects and work queues.
- Ability to provide excellent client service.
- Ability to lead projects requiring technical expertise and creativity in analysis and deployment of technology.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Excellent time management and project management skills. Demonstrated ability to manage a complex workload, prioritize tasks, and use good judgment in providing services based on goals.
- Excellent customer service skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to build strong working relations with a diverse audience, including varying levels of technical expertise, of faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to apply information technology best practices, including security (this includes information security or physical security, such as asset management) to problem resolution and troubleshooting.
Other Relevant Knowledge, Skills and Abilities May Include:
- Excellent leadership skills.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, bending, lifting, standing, and carrying equipment.
- Occasionally lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21-40 pounds.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other), writing by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts, grasp forcefully.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May require extended hours and weekends, on-call rotation.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.