Physical Therapy Department Director
This Director of Physical Therapy is responsible for the Physical Therapy Department including all of its programs. The UM-Flint Physical Therapy Department offers three outstanding programs including a professional DPT program, transitional DPT program, and a PhD in Physical Therapy. The Physical Therapy Department at the University of Michigan-Flint prepares accomplished physical therapist practitioners, researchers, and educators through best practices in teaching and learning and utilization of high-impact teaching practices including inter-professional education (IPE), high-tech media labs and simulations, and hands-on experiential labs focused on working with patients from the community.
The faculty are advancing scientific knowledge by engaging in rigorous scholarship, team science, and interdisciplinary research. Faculty have dedicated research space with state of the art equipment including a motion analysis lab. The department is dedicated to serving our diverse local community. We are engaged in service learning including a student led pro-bono clinic, PT HEART (Physical Therapy Health Education and Rehabilitation Treatment).
The Physical Therapy Department is a part of the College of Health Sciences (CHS) located within the University of Michigan-Flint. UM-Flint is a regional institution in a revitalized urban setting located along the riverfront in downtown Flint. One of three campuses of the University of Michigan, we serve commuting and residential undergraduate and graduate students and offer over 100 undergraduate and over 38 graduate and post-graduate degrees. The UM-Flint campus is known for quality education, low faculty-to-student ratios, and its collegial environment. We are seeking a creative, forward thinking leader who envisions the future of physical therapy education and scholarship in a rapidly changing healthcare environment and engages collegially with other members of the college’s leadership team.
- Provide effective leadership to the Physical Therapy Department
- Provide administrative and logistical services with the Physical Therapy department including the Regional Accreditation and Physical Therapy accreditation (CAPTE)
- Ensure orientation and regular evaluation of faculty and staff along with mentorship of faculty and staff
- Plan and administer department budget
- Communicate effectively to advocate for the PT department programs within the institution and communities of interest
- Actively participate in College of Health Sciences (CHS) Leadership Team
- Actively participate in the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and Michigan Physical Therapy Association
- Serve as a core faulty member within Physical Therapy department
- Earned academic doctorate (PhD or DSc) in Physical Therapy or related disciline
- Senior faculty status (associate or full professor eligible for tenure upon hire).
- Licensed or regulated in a US jurisdiction as a physical therapist
- Commitment to shared governance.
- Understanding of: (1) Higher Education; (2) Physical therapy professional and post-professional education; (3) Higher education research infrastructure in the USA and preferably UM system; (4) Contemporary clinical practices.
- Active involvement and commitment to promoting a work and learning environment that is diverse / multi-cultural.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience in key areas of responsibility, i.e. budgeting, strategic planning, assessments, collaborations and curriculum development.
- Demonstrated scholarly productivity
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.