Postdoctoral Researcher in Liposomes and Proteoliposomes
Research Centre School of Chemical Sciences / National Centre for Sensor Research (NCSR)
Level on Framework Level 1
Post duration Fixed Term Contract – Up to16 months
Research Career Framework
As part of this role the researcher will be required to participate in the DCU Research Career Framework http://dcu.ie/hr/ResearchersFramework/index.shtml. This framework is designed to provide significant professional development opportunities to researchers and offer the best opportunities in terms of a wider career path.
DCU has a strong track record in attracting both Irish and European Union research funding under Horizon 2020 (and all previous Framework Programmes), Marie Curie Actions and Erasmus. We offer a dynamic and internationally-focused environment in which you can advance your academic career.
The National Centre for Sensor Research (NCSR) is is a large, multidisciplinary research unit based in state-of-the-art facilities situated on the campus of Dublin City University. Arising from success in recent proposals we are now seeking application for the following research position in DCU.
Background and Role
We are seeking a postdoctoral scientist with a PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology or related field and experience in preparation and study of liposomes, proteoliposomes or supported lipid bilayers. The researcher will contribute to projects focussed on assaying integrin aggregation and membrane transporter function in model cell membranes.
Experience in preparation and handling of liposomes or proteoliposomes is essential. In particular, candidates with experience of working with giant unilammelar vesicles (GUVs) and their electroformation are particularly sought. Experience in biophysical analysis of biomembranes is an advantage and candidates with experience in confocal fluorescence microscopy and fluorescence correlation spectroscopy and/or in electrochemical impedance spectroscopy are particularly encouraged to apply.
The duration of this role will be 16 months, with potential to be extended for an additional 1 year subject to project requirements and funding availability.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to his/her Principal Investigator the Postdoctoral Researcher will:
- Conduct, with a very high degree of technical competence a specified programme of research and scholarship under the supervision and direction of the Principal Investigator
- Disseminate the outcomes of the research in which he/she is engaged including publishing in high quality peer reviewed journals of international standing.
- Support the PI and research group in the design and development and implementation of the broader research programme.
- Support the development of proposals for research funding.
- Take responsibility as requested for day-to-day advice and support of graduate research students associated with your research group.
- Mentor, assist and train as appropriate and as directed, the research graduate students and more junior postdoctoral fellows within the group.
- Contribute to reporting, site visit preparation and other administrative management work associated with your programme of research and the research group Contribute to teaching and outreach activities of the group.
- Liaise with stakeholders such as industry and collaborators.
- Engage in appropriate training and development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, the School or Research Centre, or the University
- Carry out administrative work associated with the programme of research as necessary
The candidate should have a PhD in chemistry, physical chemistry or related discipline with significant experience in preparation of plasmonic metal substrates for SERS and in computation analysis (numerical simulation) of plasmonic fields of SERS substrates.
The candidate should have experience in Raman spectroscopy/microscopy and experience in fluorescence microscopy/lifetime imaging would also be an advantage
The candidate should be capable of working independently with a high degree of technical competence whilst also being a team player, he/she must demonstrate initiative, be hard working, versatile and productive. S/he should have good communication and organisational skills.
Salary: *€37,223 - €40,662
*Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Closing date: 22nd October 2018
Candidates will be assessed on the following competencies:
Discipline knowledge and Research skills – Demonstrates knowledge of a research discipline and the ability to conduct a specific programme of research within that discipline.
Understanding the Research Environment – Demonstrates an awareness of the research environment (for example funding bodies) and the ability to contribute to grant applications.
Communicating Research – Demonstrates the ability to communicate their research with their peers and the wider research community (for example presenting at conferences and publishing research in relevant journals) and the potential to teach and tutor students
Managing & Leadership skills - Demonstrates the potential to manage a research project including the supervision of undergraduate students.
Informal enquiries to:
Professor Tia Keyes, School of Chemical Sciences, DCU, Dublin 9, Ireland
E-mail: email@example.com Phone: +353 (0)1 7005298
Please do not send applications to this email address, instead apply as described below.
To apply for this role, applications should include a CV and covering letter and be submitted with the application form to the Human Resources Department as outlined below.
Application forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies (open Competitions) website at https://www.dcu.ie/hr/vacancies/index.shtml and also from the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. Tel: +353 (0) 1 7005149.
Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line: Job Ref 1018 Postdoctoral Researcher in Liposomes and Proteoliposomes,
Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by Fax: +353 (0)1 7005500 or by post to the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9.Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. Tel: +353 1 700 5149; Fax:
+353 1 700 5500 Email: email@example.com
Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer