Yale Center for Molecular Discovery (YCMD) is a Yale University core facility focused on high throughput assay design and screening in micro plate formats. We are seeking an experienced and motivated scientist to join our Biology group to support University researchers in their efforts for the earliest phases of drug discovery, and to contribute to the state-funded PITCH program efforts. Biotechnology Associate 2 is expected to provide strong intellectual and technical support under the general guidance of the YCMD Director of Biology. He/she is expected to perform screening and discovery using Yale's small molecule and siRNA collections, liquid handling instruments, readout technologies and database. Primary duties include design and optimization of biochemical and cell-based assays in a micro plate format, as well as execution and interpretation of high-throughput screens both independently and as part of the matrixed team.
Broad knowledge and experience is highly desired as projects and applications are diverse. In addition, this position will:
- Actively participate in research design, implementation and daily operations of the lab.
- Simultaneously carry out multiple and diverse research projects, both independently and in collaboration with PITCH project leads and scientists. Coordinate resources including other team members’ activities to achieve project goals. Help troubleshoot problem areas.
- Design experiments (biochemical, cell-based, image-based), develop methods, analyze results and adapt to high-throughput protocols. Conduct screening. Identify and apply relevant statistical methods to assess assay performance and identify and prioritize assay hits. Prepare summary reports. Recommend approaches for validation and follow-up.
- Document research progress daily on Center’s electronic management system. Present weekly updates to screening team. Document results for discussion and reporting purposes.
- Set up, run and maintain sophisticated Center instrumentation. Investigate, diagnose and correct system malfunctions. Write Standard Operating Procedures.
- Expand and improve Center’s infrastructure and capabilities by anticipating future needs. Evaluate new methods, work with vendors, participate in technology evaluation and improvement projects both individually and as part of the team. Prioritize areas for development.
- Develop solutions to research problems through library research and readings of scientific material. Attend scientific seminars and conferences. Contribute scientific data to grant proposals. Author/co-author manuscripts for publication.
- Serve as an expert resource in the professional development of Yale researchers by teaching specialized techniques and analysis methods commonly used in biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. Develop and teach lectures and hands-on courses, co-teach annual YCMD nanocourses, mentor undergraduate interns.
- Manages the daily activities of a research resource laboratory. Oversees the scheduling, use, and availability of instrumentation, supplies, and specialized work areas.
- Carries out biotechnology research design, develop, and modify procedures and instrument operating programs.
- Develops, interprets, and analyzes the results of biotechnological analyses and/or syntheses.
- Investigates, analyzes, and evaluates alternative instrumentation, methodologies and techniques to maintain a state-of-the-art biotechnology resource laboratory.
- Recommends and develops new protocols and initiates and adapts new techniques to resolve problems.
- Conducts research to determine the feasibility and scope of providing new/revised services. Develops and evaluates new techniques and equipment.
- Prepares budgets and reports pertaining to laboratory costs and income.
- Determines and establishes policies and procedures on laboratory safety consistent with University safety regulations.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, or other related discipline and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Ability to work both independently and as part of matrixed team to manage scientific projects and design and carry out experimental programs. Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and juggle multiple active projects.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Deep knowledge of molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology. Strong tissue culture knowledge and ability with biochemical assays using recombinant proteins. Expertise with biochemical, cell-based and image-based assay development. Strong quantitative skills and ability using scientific software for data analysis and statistics.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to interact favorably and professionally with a diverse group of scientists and entrepreneurs. Ability to learn new techniques and manage complex laboratory processes.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
M.S. in Biology, Biochemistry and four years of experience in academia or industry (pharmaceutical or biotechnology co), or Ph.D. and 2 years of experience. Experience w/liquid handling and automation, high-throughput screening, microscopy and image analysis methods. Experience using computer-run instrumentation. Experience using statistical methods to analyze large scale scientific experiments.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.