Laboratory Technician, Pathology
Perform a variety of technical tasks and examinations in a Duke University laboratory.
- Perform a variety of technical duties in a Duke University laboratory to include performance of routine tests and examinations, assistance in the set-up of experiments and the collection and recording of data.
- Procure and set-up equipment, instruments and materials used in performing scheduled tests or experiments.
- Prepare tissue specimens for cutting; use microtome to obtain sections for mounting; stain sections with dye and mount on slides.
- Obtain urine, blood and other specimens and label and prepare for laboratory analysis.
- Repair, maintain and operate standard laboratory equipment.
- Prepare culture media, chemicals, solutions and reagents.
- Clean and sterilize instruments, glassware and equipment; restock supplies and materials as required.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of routine laboratory records.
- Review work of lower level laboratory employees and assist in the training of new personnel.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
399 LAB TECHNICIAN
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a basic science background normally acquired through a high school education.
Work requires six months laboratory experience or laboratory coursework.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID