The Staff Specialist will serve as the animal transfer coordinator for DLAR with duties of directing and distributing animals between the facilities of DLAR and between outside vendors and DLAR. Responsible for documenting the entire transfer request from start to finish, coordinating the transfer between the sending and receiving area supervisors, and coordinating/performing the physical transport of the animals to assure the request is completed.
Internal Animal Transfers
- Immediately upon receiving the animal transfer request:
- Document the time and date of the request
- Maintain the status and required records of all DLAR transfer activities, on paper and on the electronic Animal Transfer Log Sheet.
- Review the transfer request and determine if all pertinent information is complete and correct.
- Contact the requestor if additional information is required to process the transfer.
- Route the request to the required Veterinary Staff for approval.
- If there is no requirement for a room or facility change, then route directly to the Staff Specialist responsible for completing the transfer.
- Coordinate with DLAR Husbandry Staff to schedule the transfer of animals between rooms, investigators, facilities, and animals being released from quarantine.
- Coordinate sample collection and testing for transfer purpose.
- Perform the required transactions on the Granite system to assure animal cage cards are generated with accurate information.
- Follow the transfer requirements according to the DLAR SOP entitled: Transferring rodents between Rooms, Facilities, and Protocols.
- Follow the building / room flow pattern.
- Ensure old cage cards are removed and replaced with new cards containing current information. Discard old cards to assure they will not be used again.
- 3. After the requested animal transfer is complete:
- Update DLAR Animal Transfer Log
- Ensure the transfer request is signed with complete
- Provide updates via e-mail regarding completion of transfer for PIs, DLAR staff etc.
Other Work Performed
- Working with PI’s and other institutions, resolve issues regarding animal transfers/transport.
- Communicate with PI’s and DLAR staff involved with transfers to provide status updates as directed.
- Receive and complete cage card requests.
- Ensure Submitted requests are complete and correct
- Log and Scan cage card request
- Process cage cards in Granite
- Reconcile cage cards
- Print cage card
- Ensure delivery
- Works closely with PI’s and IACUC, along with DLAR leadership to ensure that transfer requests submitted are compliant to protocols and have accuracy in funding and animal numbers. Performs troubleshooting and fact finding as needed prior to approving all requests.
- Provide backup for animal handling, technical procedures, or clinical care as needed.
- Supports DUMC IACUCby coordinating and training PI/Lab personnel on DLAR processesand procedures when requested by IACUC and/or DLAR leadership.
- Contribute to department operations improvement in areas such as process development, SOP revisions, departmental inspections, and equipment maintenance.
- Works closely with PI’s and their lab staff (via training sessions) to ensure that the Duke approved database (i.e., WebForms) is understood and used appropriately.
- Independently performs administrative tasks (i.e., personnel updates in the DLAR database system, addition of fund codes into the system, billing, etc.)
- Provide backup support for DLAR’s VDL, by performing a variety of complex technical duties related to diagnostic testing of animals in a laboratory environment including clinical pathology, hematology, parasitology, microbiology, molecular diagnostics, necropsies and histopathology. To also, include procedures that require significant technical skill &/or specialized training.
- Provide backup support with DLAR’s Import/Export areas of responsibility for all species, to include complying with institutional policies as well as state and local regulations.
- Develop training materials for the functional areas of responsibility.
- Desired familiarity with various diagnostic equipment: Instrumentation (i.e., CBC analyzer, Chem analyzer, Thermal Cyclers-PCR), Serology (IFA, ELISA).
- Provide backup to perform duties under the Microbiological Monitoring Program and Monitoring Water Quality departmental SOP such as coordinating sample collection with husbandry staff, analyzing bacterial levels of animal rooms, equipment, and enrichment devices and water and data management.
- Performs on-call requirements as assigned which include weekend and holiday rotations.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein. Other related job duties Excellent communication skills, written and oral are required as this person interfaces regularly with the husbandry staff and technical staff as well as DLAR Operations Managers, Facilitators, PI’s and the Veterinary Staff. Time management skills, ability to prioritize tasks and troubleshoot processes are required to succeed in this position. The requirements include learning the Granite application to perform administrative duties as required for animal transfers. Some knowledge of shipping, domestic/international customs, and USDA guidelines will be required for animals that are shipped between DLAR and other research institutions.
Thorough knowledge of animal husbandry, veterinary care and animal management techniques and procedures. Understanding of epidemiology as it relates to the potential spread of rodent pathogens. The ability to establish an effective working relationship with researchers, animal husbandry staff, and administrators is essential in the ability to perform the required duties. The position holder is required to communicate with customs officials and international brokers. Must have the ability to interpret and administer federal and state guidelines and apply them to individual programs. The success of this job will lie within the ability to develop a rapport with others who can assist in the animal transfer process. Data entry, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access), office procedures, basic math, communication skills, negotiation skills. Preferred Hiring Specifications Bachelor's degree in a field related to the specific position. 1-2 years of experience in lab animal care facility or related setting and familiarity with the technical tasks involved in the care of animals. Rodent, avian spp, guinea pig, rabbit, etc. handling, health evaluation and treatment. Basic diagnostic lab techniques. LAT Certification NC Driver’s License with good driving record required Duke Fleet Safety training required Ability to lift 50 lbs and push 75 lbs
83 STAFF SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic mathematical, research andcommunications principles normally acquired through two years ofpostsecondary education.
Work generally requires four years of clerical or research experienceto acquire strong skills in administrative or project researchresponsibilities as well as accepted office management, communicationsand research practices.A bachelor's degree in a field of study directly related to thespecific position may be substituted for the education and two yearsof the experience requirement.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID