Improvement, Analytics, and Innovation Services
We are a newly formed department within Stanford tasked with providing management consulting services to a highly complex university administration with hundreds of business processes and dozens of major systems. Our team of internal consultants strives to create, instill, and sustain a business improvement discipline that delivers transformed and efficient processes through a data science approach with both structured and unstructured data.
The Business Analytics team is instrumental in executing our vision by providing essential data services both internally within our department as well as to our various clients. This team is composed of data professionals that cover a broad spectrum of skills such as data visualization, data engineering, statistics, machine learning, optimization, and general problems solving. We are in search of a seasoned data engineer, who will utilize a wide variety of data extraction and preparation techniques in order to build and maintain data sets to be analyzed or reported on for business decision-making. In addition to your extensive technical background, we also value your creativity and innovation in finding the right tools and techniques to solve a diverse problem set that will challenge you to employ a vast range of data skills.
Additional perks of working in our team:
- Exciting and diverse set of projects in a broad data science spectrum with varied data sets that are not limited by and specific to any industry
- Many opportunities to make a huge impact with this small newly formed team to support all other groups campus-wide at Stanford
- Attend a work-related conference of your choice every year
- Flexibility to take one of Stanford’s many exercise classes during lunch or play in a variety of group-organized sports such as basketball
- Good work from home policy
Your responsibilities include:
- Extract, transform, and load data to and from various data sources including relational databases, NoSQL databases, web services, and flat files
- Design and implement scalable and high performance data and project repositories
- Develop, optimize, and maintain code used in ETL and data analysis
- Implement NLP techniques to parse, clean, and normalize text data for the purpose of topic modeling, document clustering, and classification.
- Setup and maintain scheduled data loads to ensure up-to-date information and data consistency
- Profile and validate sources of data where very little metadata is provided
- Produce various technical documents such as entity relationship diagrams, table schemas, data lineage, API docs, etc.
- Implement guidelines or standard methodologies on source code tracking preferably with git
- Develop reports or data visualizations in an iterative process
- Perform business analysis and capture requirements from clients regarding their various data needs
Knowledge, skills, and abilities you bring:
- Solid grasp of complex data concepts as well as the ability to effectively communicate those concepts to team members, senior leaders, and clients
- Strong programming skills including the ability to build highly flexible and performance-tuned user-defined functions and classes with both object oriented and functional programming approaches. For example, build a call center simulation from scratch or implement a custom machine model evaluation script with multiple metrics.
- In-depth understanding of Python including data packages such as pandas, scikit-learn, numpy, etc.
- Deep understanding of querying languages for both SQL and NoSQL databases
- Expertise in maintaining and administering NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and neo4j, as well as relational databases like Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft SQL
- Expertise in administering Linux (Oracle, Red Hat, etc.) and Windows servers
- Experience extracting data from web services working with JSON and XML output and from web scraping parsing through HTML
- Experience using open source technologies to set up an ETL architecture capable of job scheduling, logging, and generating error notifications
- Experience using git to track source code
- Experience working closely with data scientists and report developers
- Experience eliciting, interpreting, and documenting user requirements in the context of data analysis
- Ability to lead multiple activities in a diverse environment
- Highly organized, flexible, and demonstrates rigorous attention to detail
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, D3
- Bachelor’s degree and seven years of relevant experience in computer science, or engineering, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
Working at Stanford:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts, and more!
This position will be located at Stanford’s Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in 2019, which brings together 2,700 staff in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford’s culture and mission. In addition to all amenities offered by the Palo Alto campus, this site will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your résumé and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.