Application Developer C/SR
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The World’s First Business School
JOSEPH WHARTON, FOUNDER
In 1881, American entrepreneur and industrialist Joseph Wharton established the world’s first collegiate school of business at the University of Pennsylvania.
Wharton’s pioneering vision was to produce graduates who would become ‘pillars of the state, whether in private or in public life.’ The Wharton School maintains a long tradition of educating visionary business leaders in academia, business, government, and not-for-profit organizations.
Today, Wharton has expanded the scope of this vision to become the most comprehensive source of business knowledge in the world – with over 225 faculty members, 95,000 alumni, 5,000 students across 10 academic departments, 20 research centers, and more than 9,000 executive education participants annually. https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/
WRDS is looking for an enthusiastic junior (C level) or senior developer to join the Platform Development and Integration team. You will work closely with the web and data teams, as well as marketing and our PhD researchers to present our data in innovative and easy to use ways. This role will develop new data access methods across varying software and infrastructure platforms and from varying data sources. An interest in both technology and in learning about the data workflow is key.
- Devise ways to improve workflows to support an ever increasing number of subscribers with increasing needs
- Build and deploy enterprise class on-site and cloud-based Linux High Performance Computing resources for WRDS users. Build and maintain Linux computing resources for WRDS staff.
- Design, develop, maintain, and document programs to access research databases from a variety of data sources. Analyze, tune, and optimize performance of WRDS computing environment.
- Apply knowledge of networking, operating systems, and storage operating systems within the WRDS implementation to maintain premier service level for our global client base
- Provide first/second tier system and technical support to external WRDS users
- Work with external IT organizations to implement and support WRDS product offerings
- Explore new technologies
- Ensure adherence to departmental technical, quality assurance and security standards
- Maintain full knowledge of all phases of systems development methodology and strategies
Senior Application Developer’s responsibilities will also include:
- Develop or modify procedures to solve complex problems, taking into consideration computer equipment capacity and limitations
- Oversee project goals, timelines, and create specifications to assure that projects are completed on time and within budget
- Coordinate multiple projects while meeting deadlines
C level: BA/BS in Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Mathematics, or another closely related discipline with 2 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. The candidate will also have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent problem solving skills. Candidate will have experience with statistical software such as SAS, R, Matlab, or Stata, SQL, a scripting language such as Python or Perl, Bourne shell scripting, experience working in a Unix environment, and familiarity with code version control. A preferred candidate will also have several of the following skills: Knowledge of cloud computing architecture, experience with configuration management, and understanding of web development workflow.
Senior level: Same as above, 3 – 5 years of experience; must be able to manage multiple priorities and evaluate the work of team members. A Preferred Senior level candidate will also have several of the following skills: familiarity with big data tools, experience with cloud computing infrastructure, understanding of finance and/or financial databases and research methods.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.