The Project Manager will manage projects for Research Enterprise and may manage projects independently or aligned under larger, more complex programs. This position is responsible for all aspects of project management including business case development, coordinating functional requirements, project scope and plans, allocation and coordination of resources, tracking and reporting results, communications, financials, systems interdependencies, user testing and training, organizational preparedness and client adoption.
This role will interact with all levels across Research Enterprise, including but not limited to the office of Research Administration (ORA) and Yale Animal Resources Center (YARC). Develop project charter, project plans, resource, communication and risk plans and other relevant project management artifacts. Ensure the project delivery and results are of the highest quality. Interface with internal clients, stakeholders, and potentially external entities (i.e., vendors, consultants, clients). Understand business benefits, represents project cost and benefits accurately. Accountable for planning and delivering initiatives.
- Oversees the execution and implementation of detailed project plans in concert with stakeholders.
- Manages several routine projects simultaneously and ensures that the design, testing, training, documentation and prioritization objectives are met.
- Assists in refining and re-sequencing during the implementation and execution phases of assigned projects, as needed.
- Works closely with business analysts, technical professionals, end users and project stake holders during the requirements, solutions design and implementation phases to develop detailed project plans for implementation.
- Works on risk assessment, communication planning, development of performance metrics, and project entry criteria.
- Creates detailed project plans including timelines, budgets, and resource allocation to ensure successful project completion.
- Manages client expectations and provides issue/risk identification and escalation pathways.
- May supervise the implementation team of cross-functional project and technical resources.
- Designs, develops, and executes communication systems to ensure effective exchange of information between project stakeholders, senior management, and staff.
- Resolves complex project issues that involve representatives from multiple organizations.
- Complies with standard policies and procedures.
- May supervise and train junior project managers.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and five years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated and applied ability delivering projects. Proven ability to earn the trust of key stakeholders, set direction and mobilize teams.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage through changing priorities.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent communication, influencing and interpersonal skills with ability to manage diverse client groups.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and eight years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of Agile and Waterfall methodology.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
PMP Certification considered a plus.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.