Staff Assistant for Payroll and Acounting
The TIP Staff Asst for payroll and accounting performs a variety of complex accounting tasks involved in maintaining all payroll and compensation financial records and processing related payroll data, as well as monitors, reviews, verifies and reconciles compensation expenses for the Duke Talent Identification Program. This position reports directly to the TIP Human Resources Coordinator. If interested in applying, please submit a cover letter and resume prior to the close of the position. Position will close October 28, 2018.
- Process the non-exempt payroll according to the Duke University biweekly payroll schedule.
- Monitor time input into the electronic time reporting system, and approval by managers of submitted time reports.
- Ensure timely submission of biweekly payroll according to Duke Corporate Payroll schedule.
- Run biweekly gross pay and time off reports on scheduled pay days to verify payments and monitor overtime/paid time off balances.
- Process manual forms (i.e. cost transfers, overpayments, gross pay adjustments), secure appropriate approval signatures, and deliver to appropriate University office.
- Resolve problematic compensation payments for biweekly staff through interface with Duke Corporate Payroll Services and Duke departments as needed.
- Secure manual secondary biweekly timecards from Duke Corporate Payroll office for useas needed.
- Review all student and non-permanent personnel for inactivity and terminate as necessary.
- • Maintain personnel files and keep current archives up-to-date.
- Respond to calls from payroll personnel from other Duke departments regarding the transfer or payments of existing student or non-permanent personnel. Email or fax personnel data sheets as required.
- Prepare records necessary to process the non-permanent exempt payroll according to the Duke University monthly payroll schedule.
- Prepare appropriate payroll forms as needed and process through interface with the Provost’s Office and Duke Human Resources to ensure successful payment of all seasonal staff checks.
- Monitor the input and approval of paid time offfor full-time exempt staff members using the University’s electronic exempt time-off reporting tool. Ensure that deadlines are met for submission and approval as stipulated by Duke Corporate Payroll Services.
- Manage the TIP HR in-box to initiate the hire of seasonal summer staff via the TIP summer employment portal.
- Perform background checks using the Infomart portal and monitor results from Duke HR.
- Process hires using the electronic I-9 tool (E-verify) provided by Duke HR monitoring I-9 completion via the TALX system.
- Review employment, tax and benefits forms completed by staff for accuracy.
- Prepare and compile all employment documents to ensure successful hire of all TIP summer staff.
- Prepare and process TIP summer staff supplemental pay list to ensure successful payment of summer contracts.
- Distribute paychecks according to the University monthly payroll schedule.
- Transfer and/or remove summer staff from the payroll at the end of the summer programs per record retention policy.
- Maintain personnel files including TIP personnel archive files.
- Prepare training and presentation materials for yearly summer staff payroll and employment training sessions. Lead training sessions and serve as primary HR contact for summer programs site staff.
- Assist in payroll budget process and organizational reporting requirements as needed.
- Provide payroll and/or personnel summary information for the department, Provost, Benefits and Payroll offices as requested.
- Process requests for TIP employment verification of current and past TIP employees.
- Monitor, verify and reconcile TIP payroll expenses including Duke Temporary Service charges using actual pay records as source documents, Duke Payroll Gross Pay and Distribution reports and detailed financial statements to ensure accurate payments and cost distribution of compensation expenses.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the duties described herein.
Work requires knowledge of payroll & general accounting principles usually acquired through two years post-secondary education in accounting or related business field
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to use Duke financial systems
- Microsoft word processing, database & spreadsheet programs is essential
- Exceptional communications skills
- Ability to travel to between locations as needed
- Attention to details
- Ability to maintain confidential information/files