The Graduate Communications Center at Pratt (GCC@Pratt) is a communications resource center designed to provide all graduate students at the Pratt School of Engineering with personalized, one- on-one coaching in the areas of oral and written communication, as well as workshops and courses to help build specific communications skills. GCC@Pratt serves both domestic and international students and offers a combination of resources targeted to serve engineers from all backgrounds. GCC@Pratt Communications Consultants will serve as communications coaches, workshop developers and facilitators, cultural competence experts, and facilitators for English language learning courses. Based on consultant’s areas of expertise, specializations in the areas of oral communications, technical writing, cultural competence, etc. may be identified and/or developed.
- Assist in developing GCC@Pratt programs by consulting with department faculty and administrators to identify and evaluate specific communication training needs.
- Assist in developing GCC@Pratt brand and publicity campaigns.
- Provide one-on-one coaching for students who visit the GCC@PRATT in the areas of technical writing, presentations/oral communications, and initial career document draft revision.
- Depending on specialization, consultant will be asked to develop and deliver GCC@Pratt workshop and English languagelearning course programming to include several workshops and courses each semester with a balance of content relevant to both domestic and ESL students.
- Contribute to an overall assessment strategy by assisting with monitoring and evaluating GCC@PRATT effectiveness using qualitative and quantitative research techniques, investigating trends, and recommending and implementing modifications to improve service delivery effectiveness and utilization.
- Maintain liaison with other communication programs, offices and departments at Duke to coordinate resources and accomplish program objectives. Interface with external organizations as appropriate to ensure cooperative efforts are enhanced, best practices are integrated, and available resources are utilized.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work herein described.
- Specific responsibilities and work performed may vary depending on consultant’s areas of expertise and student needs. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Education/Training: Work requires a general business background generally equivalent to a bachelor's degree in education, engineering, business or a related field. Master’s Degree Preferred
- Work requires ESL teaching certification or degree