Respiratory Care Practitioner, Asthma, Allergy and Airway
Asthma, Allergy & Airway
Duke Asthma, Allergy, and Airway Center – Durham
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders. Defined duties are performed in pediatric and adult populations.
- Administer oxygen, aerosolized medication via Intermittent Aerosol Therapy (IAT), and Metered Dose Inhalers (MDI).
- Perform nasotrachealand artificial airway suction.
- Perform diagnostic pulmonary procedures, six minute walks, and pulmonary function studies.
- Verify physician orders.
- Perform routine cleaning, maintenance, correct set-up, and assure safety, and function of all equipment / supplies necessary in the provision of patient care
- Assure adherence to all infectious disease standards in the delivery of patient care procedures.
- Recognize life threatening situations and initiate appropriate responses.
- Make patient care assessments according to accepted protocols.
- Provide education to patients, families, physicians, nursing, and other members of the health care teams. Monitor response to all therapy.
- Document in patient medical record.
- Communicate all pertinent clinical information.
- Participate in quality improvement activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interactions relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation / certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities at this level. #
- Must maintain annual skills, safety, and compliance requirements.
- Must maintain annual North Carolina license requirements for CEUs, Customer Service, and communication expertise.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work requires walking, climbing, and bending.
- Understand pharmacological indications, dosages, and response to adverse drug reactions.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or equivalent) and registry eligible.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
LICENSURE/ CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- North Carolina State Licensure or North Carolina State Provisional License, Certification by the National Association for Respiratory Carew (NBRC) if graduate.
- Certification of Basic Life Support (BLS), and any other applicable certification applicable to the institution
- Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy clinic/office environment.
- Must be present on site for 8 hour shifts during standard business hours.
- Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation.
- Must work as late person when scheduled or according to business needs
- Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities.
- Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 30lbs.
- Must be able to carry 30 lbs.
- Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms
Requisition Number 401501527
Duke Entity PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Code 4140 RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program(Associates Degree or the equivalent) or currently enrolled in an AMAapproved Respiratory Care Program, and registry eligible.
Auto req ID