Director of the UNSW Defence Research Institute
Through the UNSW Defence Research Institute, UNSW aspires to be known internationally for its broad based defence research, with domains of excellence based on specific cross-disciplinary applications such as space, cyber security, systems engineering, logistics, defence-related public-sector management, and conflict studies. The Director is responsible for translating this vision into reality.
The inaugural Director will foster Defence research and associated postgraduate education across UNSW Canberra, increasing both the volume and quality of both.
Duties of the role include:
- Identify and exploit opportunities for funding of high-impact defence research, with both industry and government;
- Create a high profile for UNSW and the UNSW Defence Research Institute with government and industry;
- Provider leadership for defence-related research activities across UNSW;
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the UNSW Defence Research Institute; and
- Develop strong linkages with researchers across UNSW, nationally and internationally.
The right candidate will bring:
- The highest professional standing in research, defence or defence industry;
- A deep understanding of the opportunities for relationships between university research and potential customers in government and industry;
- A strong track record as a strategic leader in an area relevant to the activities of the UNSW Defence Research Institute;
- A strong network in the Australian defence community; and
- Strong communication, negotiation and listening skills, with demonstrated ability to liaise and communicate effectively with members of the community, professional and industry bodies.
To Learn More
For a confidential discussion about the position and to obtain full details, please contact the search firm assisting UNSW Canberra:
Dr Rosalind De Sailly
T: 0414 574 945
Making An Application
Applications must be submitted to the above email and must include:
- A covering letter which includes
– a statement that systematically addresses the selection criteria;
– a statement of purpose for the role;
- A full CV; and
- The names and contact details of three referees.
The University reserves the right to fill the position by invitation, to make one or more appointments, or not to fill the position.
It is not the intention of the description to limit the scope or accountabilities of the position but to highlight the most important aspects of the position. The aspects mentioned above may be altered in accordance with the changing requirements of the role.
Applications will be considered from November until the position is filled.
Apply for Director of the UNSW Defence Research Institute
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly