Analytics and Advisory Services, Manager
The Office of Audit, Risk and Compliance (OARC) is a dynamic professional environment focused on strategic risk assessment; operational, performance and financial risk and control assessments; process and control environment consultation; and proactive engagement in emerging issues discussion with clients and institutional leadership.
The Analytics and Advisory Services Manager supports the mission and objectives of OARC through highly engaged support of the Audit and Risk Director(s) and associated teams.
The Analytics and Advisory Services Manager also assists in performing risk assessments, client communication, audit and consulting project planning and execution, engagement leadership, report delivery and follow- up consultation. Valuable professional attributes include strong relationship building skills, confident communication style, appropriate assertiveness, diplomacy, and personal initiative, and the ability to facilitate collaboration across all levels of the institution.
Work performed includes:
- Promote utilization of data mining, data analytics and information visualization across the internal audit life cycle including risk assessment, planning, scoping, fieldwork, reporting, and monitoring
- Develop analytic approaches to simplify engagement fieldwork, analyze root causes, and perform targeted monitoring
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and partner with database administrators and data warehouse analysis to maintain data systems
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Strong data abstraction skills and advanced statistical/predictive modeling and optimization techniques are highly preferred
- Combine use of analytic tools and approaches with existing performance indicators, metrics, and monitoring approaches to improve information for decision-making across the organization
- Leverage analytic approaches to assist the IT Risk Officer in performing the annual risk assessment and development of audit plans
- Support audit team by performing preliminary planning and establish defined analytic approaches for audits, be a resource to assigned auditors to facilitate successful project outcomes
- Review industry, trade and regulatory publications for audit considerations and current best practices for use of data analytics and information visualization
- Support targeted monitoring initiative
- Develop and perform ongoing review and communication activities that will help create standard audit analytic procedures
- Conduct and lead engagement teams on data driven advisory projects in the areas of finance, operations, and compliance to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the process and control environment to help management better meet business objectives
- Participate as team lead for audits with high risk, highly complex operational or variable processes requiring more experienced audit skills
- Build and maintain strong client relationships through collaboration and institutional community involvement and be recognized as a solution-driven trusted advisor Relationships/Personnel
- Maintain a strong client service focus by developing productive working relationships and regular communication with key client personnel and ERP system subject matter experts
- Foster a consultative role with management and client personnel
- Participate and partner with clients on advisory groups or steering committees
- Coach and mentor audit team to set goals and responsibilities for specific engagements, foster teamwork, facilitate discussions on new ideas and opportunities for adding value to clients
- Design and coordinate professional training and development for office staff and client personnel
- Foster involvement in professional organizations to shape and influence the value of internal auditing, data analytics and advisory services Technical Expertise
- Function as the data analytics subject matter expert for the audit and risk team
- Identify, research and communicate emerging trends in analytic tools, approaches and Computer Aided Audit Techniques (CAAT) and machine learning
- Develop and maintain knowledge of business processes and controls and related reporting for all institutional ERP systems and supporting applications
- Coordinate knowledge sharing amongst the audit and risk team and foster understanding of data requirements supporting analytic approaches
- Industry knowledge of higher education and health care, including operating environment, key performance indicators, and constituent expectations
- Perform other related duties and manage other projects incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Master’s Degree preferred.
CPA, CISA, CISSP or CIA strongly preferred.
Experience in not-for-profit, governmental, health care, academic medical centers, colleges and universities or research compliance (as appropriate) desired.
Understanding of the standards of the Institute of Internal Auditors is strongly preferred.
Strong oral and written communication skills required.
Strong data analysis including statistical skills, hands on experience working with complex data sets, data modeling, database design, data mining and segmentation techniques.
Strong technical skills with experiences using Relational Databases, MS Excel advanced functions.
SAP, Epic, ACL, IDEA, and Splunk experience desired.
Tableau Data Visualization or similar business intelligence application experience is a plus. Industry knowledge of higher education and/or health care is a plus.
Requisition Number 401502506
Duke Entity CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code 1305 AUDIT ADVISORY SERVICES, MANAGER
Job Family Level 16
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Business, Information Technology or other relevant degree. Work experience in the related field will be considered. Appropriate professional certification or designation required. CPA or CIA preferred.
Requires at least 7 years of previous audit experience or equivalent business process evaluation experience.
Auto req ID