Starting Salary Range: [[$12.76 - $16.77]]
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: [[Monday - Friday, 8:30a - 5:00p / 37.5 hour per week]]
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 05-MD:School of Public Health
Department name: 10001154-W Harry Feinstone Dpt Molec Mblgy Imlgy
Personnel area: School of Public Health
Cerebral malaria (CM) is a serious complication of malaria infection that primarily affects young children in sub-Saharan Africa. Clinical symptoms of CM include coma and seizures. Upon anti-parasitic chemotherapy, a subset of survivors are left with neuro-cognitive deficits. The malaria parasite, Plasmodium falciparum, infects red blood cell (PRBC), which clog up blood vessels and adhere to the brain microvascular endothelial cells of the blood-brain barrier. How these parasites, which reside inside the PRBC’s and inside the vascular lumen mediate neuronal damage is not clear.Our laboratory seeks an individual to assist with research on brain endothelial cell and PRBC interactions. The research involves a variety of standard biochemical and biophysical methodologies, including: cell culturing, ELISA’s, microscopy, standard MS office applications and working with instrument specific computer programs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Follow standard laboratory procedures under supervision, including isolation, characterization and culturing of mammalian cells.
- Perform laboratory duties by following common protocols or with instruction.
- Increase own skill base and gain experimental laboratory skills, learn assays, techniques and problem solving-skills through progressive training, understanding of the research and experience.
- Understand the role of senior lab members and accept constructive guidance.
- Practice aseptic techniques during cell culture and experimentation.
- Keep careful data collection and record all data.
- Identify and report problems in standard laboratory processes.
- Perform related laboratory maintenance, monitoring inventory of supplies, ordering supplies and cleaning laboratory equipment.
- High School Diploma/GED with some science coursework.
- Training Certificate from Technical Institute preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Tissue culture skills.
- Specific technical laboratory based courses, including tissue culture and relevant experience.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: