BeWell Center Assistant Director, Fitness and Memberships, Stanford Redwood City Campus
About Stanford Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation
Stanford Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation is committed to providing diverse recreation and fitness opportunities that inspire health and well-being for the Stanford Community. We aspire to maximize fun, friendly and positive interactions in our program offerings. We are looking for a dedicated team member who is excited to develop and grow a fitness program from the ground up and organize a team that will develop a sense of community at Stanford’s new campus in Redwood City. Are you experienced in fitness and customer service program management? Are you a strong manager who knows how to attract and develop staff? Can you devise a strategy to develop a community following with those we serve? If the answer is yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you to inspire a healthier Stanford!
Reporting to the Director of the BeWell Recreation Center within the Department of Athletics, Physical Recreation and Recreation, the Assistant Director of Fitness and Memberships is responsible for the strategic development, implementation and administration of a comprehensive fitness and customer service program to deliver an excellent experience for the campus community in Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in 2019, brings together 2,700 staff in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford’s culture and mission. The campus will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
In this role, you will direct the execution of programs including the fitness floor, personal training, fitness assessments and the membership desk at the Stanford Redwood City campus. Specific program responsibilities include:
• Provide leadership and direction to ensure that the Redwood City BeWell Recreation Center offers fitness programs that engage participants, promote health and well-being and provide opportunities to enhance the Stanford experience and improve the quality of life.
• Ensure effective customer service delivery, evaluation and development of programs, including monitoring and updating of policies and procedures and management of associated risks and liability.
• Formulate innovative and creative methods of recruiting, retaining and serving members of the Redwood City campus community.
• Recruit, hire, and provide leadership, development and direction to part time staff.
• Promote programs to individuals through active, ongoing communications.
• Generate revenue streams for program enhancement.
• Collaborate with university contacts including, but not limited to, DAPER, all departments housed in Redwood City, HIP, BeWell and other wellness collaborators at Stanford.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Master’s degree in exercise related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Experience in fitness programming, health promotion, and/or wellness coaching.
• Demonstrated ability to provide a high standard of customer service.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
• Highly organized and superb attention to detail.
• Interpersonal skills and mature judgment required to interact effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of people, including program areas, stakeholders, vendors, and equipment suppliers, both individually and in groups.
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate daily activities including work scheduling, quality assurance, monitoring of activities, and supervision of personnel.
• Ability to be resourceful and creative in problem solving while not sacrificing quality, service or safety.
• Knowledge of current risk management practices in fitness programs.
Certifications and Licenses
CPR, AED and First Aid certification is required. Nationally recognized accredited personal training certification or group fitness certification required; both preferred.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
• Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
• A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
• A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
• Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
• Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your résumé and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for ensuring that his/her involvement with Athletics Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.