Student Services Officer
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Department of Bioengineering
Stanford Bioengineering is a dynamic and rapidly growing department within the Stanford Schools of Engineering and Medicine. For more than a decade, the Department of Bioengineering has sought to advance bioengineering as a fundamental engineering discipline grounded in basic sciences, powered by a unique set of engineering concepts and principles, and capable of realizing many diverse applications. In realizing our mission, we must capitalize on the unique history and strengths of Stanford and continue to work toward becoming a model for bioengineering worldwide. Our community ranges broadly, consisting of esteemed alumni, world class faculty and students, dynamic staff and administrators and include some of the world's most successful leaders in bioengineering technology and business. Our staff are critical to supporting our organization’s goals and enabling Stanford faculty and students to accomplish its mission conducting cutting-edge research with the objective of formulating innovative solutions to global challenges through the field of bioengineering.
We are seeking a Student Services Officer that will be responsible for making recommendations and resolving first level decisions on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services using defined policies and practices and professional knowledge. Provide advice to students on a range of issues to guide them in making appropriate choices and decisions. Reporting to the Student Services Manager, this position is critical in supporting our mission: to seek solutions to important global problems and educate leaders who will make the world a better place through guidance and administration of our academic environment. You will provide support to a large volume of diverse clients, from faculty, students, and fellow staff, to outside institutions and collaborators.
Your responsibilities include:
- Oversee, review and administer student records by analyzing data, counseling students and providing recommendations that require interpretation and influence decisions. Make exceptions on issues of eligibility, course enrollment and program requirements.
- Develop recommendations and collaborate with staff, faculty and other offices to resolve programmatic issues within the school and across functional units, (such as strategizing to ensure optimal enrollment). Participate in related student recruitment and selection.
- Advise students on a range of issues, including, academic progress, academic program policies, accessibility, community standards, career plans.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship and scholarship opportunities,
- Provide first line response to identify students in crisis and refer to appropriate resources, as needed.
- Collect and analyze data from multiple sources including student feedback, surveys, trend reports, and data analytics. Prepare and summarize reports and make recommendations to enhance offerings, such as programs and courses and to influence current processes and policies.
- Develop, analyze, influence and review, policies, processes and programs by incorporating feedback and trend data learned from first-line interactions with students. Advise manager and team on policy updates and provide recommendation for implementation of changes.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Basic analysis and problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Proficiency with common online platforms, such as MS Office, Outlook, Box and Google Drive
- Proficiency with various social media
- Proficiency with Stanford systems
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Tidal, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.