Research Specialist A
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/
The Yi-Wei Chang lab in the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics has an opening for a Research Specialist A position for a motivated and detail-oriented team-player to participate in the cutting-edge electron cryotomography cellular imaging on important biological processes.
Primary duties will include but are not limited to:
- General lab maintenance (e.g. ordering, biosafety, computer and network administration, sample storage and log maintenance, equipment management, etc.)
- Sample preparation for electron cryotomography imaging (including bacterial and mammalian cell cultures, and cryo-electron microscope grids preparation and manipulation)
- Electron cryotomography imaging and data analysis
- Work with internal and external collaborators on various projects involving host-pathogen interactions.
- Train new lab members (students).
The candidate must have strong organizational and communication skills, and must be reliable and self-motivated. Willingness to learn new techniques and ability to coordinate several projects concurrently is essential. Other expectations of this position include attending and presenting data during lab meetings, actively engage in project discussions, help with writing protocols and Standard Operating Procedures, and assisting other members of the lab as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, computer science or related field and 0-1 year experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Strong computer programming/scripting skills and experience in research laboratories are highly desirable.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.