Reporting directly to the Editor, as Senior Editor, oversee all phases of conceiving, editing and producing the editorial content of a Yale-based, international Web publication that is a leading source of original reporting, analysis and opinion on global environmental issues.
- Plans and supervises all projects related to the creation of books or other education materials; edits and produces books.
- Assigns and edits major articles for the Web site, including many written by prominent international journalists, scientists and policymakers in the environmental field.
- Oversees contracted writers who produce original assigned pieces for publication and provide editorial supervision of their work.
- Reviews and determines acceptability of submitted manuscripts.
- Determines presentation of material on the Web site, including photos and illustrations and display copy.
- Formulates and establishes goals, academic standards, and direction for books and other educational material.
- Reviews and determines acceptability of submitted manuscripts; determine presentation of material including illustrations, style, and format.
- Devises marketing strategies to publicize books and other education material.
- Manages activities such as editing, manuscript revision, printing, production, and marketing.
- Supervises a small staff of non-exempt employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in English, Journalism or related field. Five years of editorial and book production experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong knowledge of global environmental issues, with a good understanding of the environmental science underlying those issues.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Strong writing and reporting skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Knowledge of journalistic procedures and ethics; thorough knowledge of English language, grammar, usage and composition.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated ability in online publishing, and basic familiarity with how to operate a content-management system and Adobe Photoshop.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.