Public Relations Spec, Senior
This position is responsible for overseeing communications, public relations activities and branding to publicize and promote the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions and its six programs—Climate and Energy, Environmental Economics, Ecosystem Services, Ocean and Coastal Policy, Water Policy, and State Policy; initiatives, projects, and other affiliates.
- Develop communication plans to identify objectives, strategies, target audiences, tactics and key messages for programs, initiatives, projects and other affiliates. Consults with stakeholders to identify needs and ensure objectives are met.
- Supervise and manage the work of the Assistant Editor/Writer and Web Administrator to ensure timeliness, consistency in style and quality, and effective overall project execution.
- Manage, guide, and prioritize the work of communication student assistants.
- Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with units and provide guidance related to content for websites, social media, publications and other communication channels to ensure consistency of style, freshness of and usability of content in support of strategic and operational goals. Guidance, depending on unit and/or project, may include consultation, editing, writing and development or oversight of development of multimedia content.
- Serve as the liaison for the Nicholas Institute’s design, print, photography and multimedia vendors, overseeing and managing editorial schedules and the work they perform for the Nicholas Institute.
- Serve as project manager for changes in design, content, or other components of the Nicholas Institute’s main website and project-related sites on the Nicholas Institute’s WordPress network, as needed.
- Create and carry out communication and social media strategy for the Nicholas Institute.
- Oversee expenses associated with communications activities, monitoring and verifying costs to ensure budgetary compliance. Advise senior management of any budget-related problems throughout the year and recommend appropriate funding levels for communications during the annual university budget submission process.
- Establish editorial guidelines and provide oversight for creation of content for various communication channels. Manage freelancers and interns to produce content to support communication plans and goals for the department.
- Oversee media relations, including appropriate proactive outreach, as the Nicholas Institute’s media contact.
- Prep and coach staff for press calls and other media interactions by helping solidify key points and conducting mock interviews. Work closely with research staff to coordinate interview schedules.
- Write press releases and news tips and work with Nicholas Institute staff and Duke’s Office of News and Communications to ready for distribution to media via Vocus.
Online and Print Marketing
- Collect and analyze data for decision making purposes. This requires tagging and tracking content to test theories our data reveals in order to increase engagement with our products and address trouble spots in digital/marketing strategy.
- Maintain and expand social media presence, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and iTunesU.Develop marketing materials for distribution, including brochures and documents to communicate the Nicholas Institute’s research and mission.
- Conceptualize, collect information for, create, and disseminate the Nicholas Institute’s monthly electronic newsletter.
- Create photo and video materials, using video and photo manipulation software to package the materials for the website and social media.
- Maintain the Nicholas Institute’s style and brand guides to ensure consistency in communications and presentation.
- Track media hits and other analytics to assess effectiveness. Redirect or change strategy or methods, as needed.
- Maintain distribution lists for the Nicholas Institute’s electronic newsletter, programs and special events.
- Maintain the Nicholas Institute’s library of images and identify opportunities to build on this collection.
- Create and issue an annual report for the Nicholas Institute, partnering with staff and vendors to produce it. Prepare and edit other special reports on Nicholas Institute activities as needed.
- Provide daily support, maintenance and oversight of all web spaces, blogs and social media. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires the ability to perform creative writing and related activities, such as conducting interviews and research and copy editing, normally acquired through attainment of a bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or a related discipline. Excellent analytical, communications, and organizational skills are also required.
Work requires two years of directly related experience. Five years of experience preferred.
Requisition Number 401501213
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 1268 PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
Job Family Level 12
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires the ability to perform creative writing and related activities such as conducting interviews and research, and copy editing normally acquired through attainment of a bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or a related discipline.
Work requires two years of directly related writing experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID