Research Assistant in Science
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Science (BABS) teaches undergraduates, mentors postgraduate research students and conducts research in the disciplines of biotechnology, biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, microbiology, environmental microbiology, medical microbiology and immunology.
About the role
- $65K - $69K plus 9.5% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – 12 months
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The Research Assistant will provide support for an internationally funded project that involves the development of protein-based biomaterials with novel chemical, electronic, and medical properties. The Research Assistant will express and purify recombinant proteins from E. coli and characterise the structural properties of the biomaterials.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in a science related discipline and/or relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of biotechnology, molecular biology or biochemistry.
- Demonstrated experience in basic laboratory techniques and an understanding of safety procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision.in a team with people from varying backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills, including intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Contact: Dominic Glover
Applications close: November 3rd, 2018
Find out more about working at UNSW at your Faculty/Division web address UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).